For those complaining about Fireteams: Squad up with Friends

Let me preface with the fact that I played Destiny extensively, all the way from Week 11 of Destiny 1 (I started right after the Loot Cave was Patched) until shortly after Forsaken dropped for Destiny 2. I believe my total time played rounds out to about 4,200ish hours. I ran every Strike dozens of times, did very well in Crucible (average K/D was a 2.45) with a hard earned full Trials of the Nine Flawless Hunter Set (it’s still some of the best looking Gear in all of Destiny) and collected every sought after Weapon due to ravaging through every ounce of Content.

But most importantly, all of my best experiences in Destiny were when I Raided with all of my closest Friends in a full Fireteam. We ran Vault of Glass (still the best Raid IMO), Crota’s End and King’s Fall every Tuesday, usually with each of our three Characters back to back. Better were the People I met through Friends of Friends and the chill banter we shared while annihilating Raids were some of the best experiences I’ve been a part of.

Since I got so used to running with my besties, I found that playing with randos was a hassle in LFG Groups. Segments like the Vault of Glass and it’s Oracles, that should take 45 minutes tops, took upwards of 2 hours. Randos that claimed they knew what they were doing knew absolutely squat when it came down to it. Even worse was that when communication was necessary, everyone was quiet. I ultimately switched sides to PvP until I lost interest after four and a half years. That was a month after Forsaken dropped.

So with my lengthy Post, you’re probably wondering how the hell all of this ties into Hunting Grounds. Actually, everything. Especially since both Destiny and Hunting Grounds are heavily Fireteam focused.

Since Hunting Grounds launched, I’ve been playing exclusively as a Predator, maining a Berserker. Predators are deadly, but most importantly, insanely mobile. If you can keep moving to confuse a Fireteam while engaging, you will be quite successful. While I’m a Berserker at heart, the Scout can be even more efficient with Hit and Run or in your Face Tactics, without Impenetrable active. Gameplay makes so much more sense when you start to grasp all of the available nuances.

Fireteams on the other hand are a different story when queuing solo. You’re at the whim of Matchmaking and playing without any form of coordinating makes killing a Predator much harder. The only time you’ll be successful is if you get matched with a fresh Predator Player (as indicated by the default Mask and lack of Weapons) or Fireteam Members who have a decent grasp on what to do. Otherwise?? Nobody fully coordinates. Fellow Teammates don’t always assist. Objectives and the Respawn Station are sometimes ignored. And waaaaaaay too many Rage Quit. At the very best, you’ll likely last about 7 minutes until you’re killed by a Predator.

But earlier today and for the very first time, I ran as a Fireteam with three of my Streamer Buddies. And I gotta say, the difference is night and day and really exposes you to what Hunting Grounds is capable of.

The first thing I noticed is that when everyone is actually coordinated, it’s far easier to focus fire and deal serious damage to the Predator when it tries to engage. Weapons like 'Ol Painless actually felt viable (for once!!) and worth using. Specific Perks made more sense due to my Role in our Team. AI only became a problem if we focused too hard on tracking a Predator. Matches also lasted, on average, until the Timer hit the 3:15 Minute mark (Exfil and all) or when a Predator finally got the drop on us. Out of the two and a half hours we rolled together, I’d say 80% of our Matches were successful. That speaks volumes.

I see far too many people here needlessly complain about what should be buffed, what should be nerfed and practically every little nitpick that playing solo, or against solo Players, amplifies. None of the Matches I played today felt as if the Predator was too powerful, nor did any of us feel underpowered. And nobody died too quickly, which is another complaint seen too often here.

Everything felt right when everyone was working together and coordinated as a Team. But the biggest takeaway is that everything felt so damned fun while Hunting Grounds was firing on all cylinders. I highly suggest playing this way. You won’t be disappointed.

3 Likes

But what if you don’t have any friends?

1 Like

I like this and agree but nobody Ik has this game… or cares about it lmao

1 Like

then you need this

3 Likes

Thanks lol

I’m a very coordinated ft member and usually do the most damage to the pred and survives till the end and rarely die unless the preds focus me after they rush and I do massive amounts of damage usually resulting in second wind he focuses me the rest of the game wile I’m dying my team is clueless lmao

Game suited for random queue.