Why are Free to Play games so frivalous?

Why are the concepts of team games so bad?
The story lines and concept designs look so disjointed and disconnected. How are they going to attract peoples attentions?
Apex Legends, Rogue company?
They seem to take the stance of a Street Fighter bit, and try to make all their characters like extremes from one demographic. And somehow this connects with players today?
jeebux fucking christ.
They all need to stop feeding the hungry concept artist and start making a viable product that will create themselves a good IP. This shit is just trash trying to cash in on a non-existent street fighter coinup market.
Coin Up is the right term.
They are basically designing to get your 25 cents coin per play. literally. Is this truely the arcade market of today?

@Finessology : Care to give your input as to why 1/10 avid game entthusiasts will pick these up but 1/3 casual (non existent game players) will?

Battle royale with titanfall movement (formerly, now they’re dumbing it down)

Third person CS GO

If you’re just talking about western character design yeah, black afro woman, asian nerd character, black kid with jordans, japanese swordsperson and so on.
hip, cool, modernized etc. Also they have to look ridiculous and overdesigned, colorful so people can identify what class and character it is from a distance and a glance.
I’d rather just have more robots and aliens but the current era of human has to be able to self-insert into fictional characters or they literally won’t play them. There’s a reason League is pretty much just reselling K-pop skins endlessly for the same characters despite having a roster 100 strong with a lot of variety in designs.
Korean devs still have the worst designs. Literally all korean games are the same characters just with varying height, dress, and hair color. Then they throw 1 lion man in the roster.

I have no idea why casuals enjoy battle royales actually. The RNG element that can make up for skill discrepancy probably. and aim assist.

1 Like

we understand each other on this. so much. I think its a weird persception of western tastes or what they think people like. Its an over excageration of it to the point of being insulting.
I feel insulted by those designs personally. How about you?

There is some glint of hope in the valuation of korean based assets. Mind you, its top quality models, but they might have shopped it for along time that before settling on a final product. That Black Desert shit was OMG diamond cutting beautiful ,but without context its just a MMO with little substance.

I think they have the right idea, and if at some point korean entertainment industries from the actors unions andwhat not get a hold of the right formula, the korean gaming industry might be onto something Capcom couldn’t even figure out. or it could also be an extension of japanese gaming (at least the better parts of it).

I want to give @Finess a good hamshake.

It’s a cultural thing with South Korea. They are obsessed with Kpop, actors, and the entertainment industry. It will be their formula forever because that is literally their way of distancing themselves from North Korea (K-pop, K-drama, etc)

Contrast with Japan which had to basically re-integrate into the world after WWII. Japanese media was made to appeal to people outside of just japan, whereas South Korean media is made for Koreans.

Not at all. The S.Korean entertainment is based solely on the holistic ideals of democratic asia (if you’ve ever understand it from the other asiatic countries). Thats why you see SK dramas on Netflix. It appeals to asians living abroad in Western countries.
Its what Japan can’t do ever (do to it’s involvement in global trade and how the globe perceives them post WWII), China would do if HK/Taiwan would allow themselves to do if not for the silly conflict that is the mainland, and what malaysians aspire to through faith because of their economic disposition.

So Koreans.

I don’t believe Japanese are into kpop on the level of south korea.

Distancing themselves from north korea. They didn’t really have a distinct seperate culture beforehand.

Why do you feel japanese media doesnt appeal to japanese living abroad? The art industry in japan has a much wider appeal outside japan. Manga is killing comic books.

japanese living abroad is a very unique situation. If you’ve ever been exposed to cities in America with the Little Japan places. There is very little trade going on. Much of the Japanese can’t build large corps in anything other than the ‘high culture’ and ‘traditionalist’ impact.

so like i said, much of the popularity of S.K. is because the language is diverse and expansive.
Where as the other languages of asia are monocultural and dependant on asiatic politics ( communism being one of them which leads to alot of systemic bullshit and corruption)

Dont you ever wonder why Japanese games aren’t uniquely Japanese?
They are mostly a convergence of American tastes because lots of investors from America use Japan to make their games in order to sell to a larger audience and have an abundance of funding.

Then look at Chinese developers. Ever wonder why Chinese delveopers only make Uniquely Chinese content titles? Its because they have enough internal investments from China to only make “for Chinese” brands. They don’t need investors from anywhere else.

Most of the investors in S.Korean entertainment come from all asiatic countries. Much of it from China, and some of it from Japan. Even America and europe might have their hand in it too.
If it weren’t for its unique language that seemingly is like as complex as french or english, there wouldn’t be these opportunities. The language plays an important part in the conversation.

Cultural hierarchy thing. If you’re an owner of a large corp than you’re already in Japan. People outside of japan can never be considered Japanese. They’re expected to inherit startups, not leave the country. You can have a degree in anything in America and if you take it to Japan you will be given a position as an English teacher.
Every american I talked to there was a english teacher.
They’re traditionalist, I see where you’re coming from.
No idea on the specifics of climbing the social ladder in Korea.

This applies to Sony and Nintendo but not much else. Plenty of small companies in Japan and indie titles that take two years to get an english translation.

Tencent owns EVERYTHING there now, but previously there were chinese MMOs and such that made it to the americas. Bunch of direct to dvd movies, they dont care about releasing much outside China. Chinese are monocultural to a higher extreme which was why Disney was removing blacks from posters when advertising over there, huge consumer base though.

South Korea might be a little baby Chinese puppet, i’d buy it.

1 Like

I have no issues with them saying buy from Korean farms or buy Korean home made brands that support manufaturing from their local provinces. Nothing wrong with it. Its something LOTS of mainlanders from China understand COMPLETELY.
There is alot of romantiscm with the korean drama culture and I can’t say for real if its for its ‘for real everywhere’ but it speaks to the human nature of asia as a whole.
There is a lot of interest because Korea is at the tipping point of making good natured calls to the globe because their standards of beauty and intellegience and education stands apart from Asia because they don’t need to lock themselves to it. It could change in order to suit a need.

The Global standard of asia lays in Korea’s ties with democracy and its ability to communicate at a universal level, and it can’t be from anywhere else because I believe its more democratic that way.

They have lots of farmland, but unlike China, they import lots of meat produce from the USA. So they aren’t in desperate need to make farms like China does.

Anyways, but to get back to the OP.
…I just think those devs don’t know squat about what people want to see nor do they know how to capture the audience.

I mean i got this game for free from a friend called Borderlands…
its jsut a bunch of shit characteres playing around in shit with guns that pew pew. Not much story in it at all. Characters are just pink and purple haired queers with gas maskes.

Throw enough shit at the wall to see what sticks and use the lure of “free to play” to attract people.

Its a bad mentality.
See…
I’m thinkning, if they can’t mutate Gotham city or Metropolis (superman) into their own thing, they go with Cyberpunk…if they can’t do that, they do post apolocyptic shit like a zombie world nested in real world architecture…
don’t do that and you have a bunch of weird queers in violent place…with zero context and nobody cares about a place where there is no context.

31D1DE94-E154-4F5C-A5F6-05CCEA10F7A6

1 Like
1 Like

What are you talking about?

I smell another philosophical-ploitical war coming on…