A call from a fundraiser for autism

I recieved a call from a fundraiser for autism earlier today. The conversation went something like this…

Operator: …can we count on you to make a one time donation?
Me: sure, but how much is the donation?
Operator: there are a few levels; there is $50 and $35. Can we count on you to make one of those?
Me: that’s to much for me
Operator: i understand. We also have $30, $25 and $20 levels. How does that sound?
Me: still too much. I can offer $10
Operator: i understand, how about a one time donation of $15?
Me: i can’t do more that $10
Operator: ok, bye
Me: 😕

I usually hang up or say that i cant donate, but this time i though I’d contribute. The operator sounded nice, but was kinda rude. Didn’t explain anything about the amounts right away and i had to drag it out of her. At the end if the call offered no explanation whatsoever and just ended with ‘ok, bye’.

Normally i like to research the fundraiser a bit before donating because some have high operational costs and their CEOs make a ton of munny, which is not very appealing. Didn’t catch the name of this one though. I guess either they have high operational fees or want to maintain higher standards of donation on $10 is the same as $0.

2 Likes

Was it on your cell phone?

Nope, home phone.

Scam

2 Likes

That’s real life comedy… Sad for said autists maybe - if they even exist at all :)

1 Like

Could be, i haven’t though of that. From what she was saying, it seemed like of get an envelope in the mail tho, but i could be mistaken.

1 Like

Whats you’re address buddy? I will get the envelope out to you right away 👍🏻 pinky promise its legit

1 Like

What is this?

1989?

Its been a while since I suspected a scam call. Usually it’s an a guy with an Indian accent calling about my PC having virusus, but that hasn’t happened in a while. I still get the calla that my cars warranty is running out, from time to time.

I though an envelope would leave a trial. Usually the just want your credit card.

The funniest scam i encounters was when my dad was trying to sell a patent he had. Someone offered $8 million for it, but my dad was asking for $10K only. The document of certification had a signature with a red market. Seemed legit 😅

That sheet still happens, hut my radar has been off for some time so i didn’t think much of it

May have been this

1 Like

Most charities are a scam. Sad but true. Minimal amounts of funding actually go towards the stated cause and are instead funneled into lobbies and of course, deep pockets.

3 Likes

I agree; i guess it cant be helped if you’re inclined to help monetarily. Either you give something or nothing at all. There are other ways to help but they are usually to get involved with some program which it time consuming, requires dedication and lots of sympathy/empathy. Much easier to give munny

For a minute there , I thought you were saying you’re dad was the scammer calling you 😁

That would have been wild

1 Like

They’re mostly targetting the elderly because they’ll ramble then they can use the information against them.

We got a call from grandpa telling everyone he paid to get his grandson out of jail in the middle of the night before anyone was awake to tell him otherwise :/

Yeah, i head about those too. I think @MassImpact124 was asking if it was a cell call cause there is a scam notification.

It definitely sounds like a scam lol.

Over here in Toronto, it’s very common for random Filipino people to approach you and ask for donations to send to the Philippines. Similar to what you experienced, these Filipino people will ask for big sums of money ranging from $10 to $100. They are also very persistent lol. Giving them a few dollars isn’t enough and they’ll usually pester you to check your wallet for more money or to go to the bank and withdraw some money for them.

1 Like

Here’s how to answer your phone. This will help you avoid the pesky scams callers and Nigerian royal advisors.

“This is Anytime Predator, go fuck yourself!”

You’re welcome.

1 Like

I always get calls wanting me to buy house insulation 😁 i talk them through for 10 minutes and then when they ask my address, I tell them I live in my car