A Means to Incentivise Longer Match Times

This is going to be a fairly lengthy read, and incorporates elements of many ideas that have been voiced by others in the past, but hopefully it brings something new to the discussion that the devs could build from.

One of the recurring criticisms of the game at this point is the brevity of match times resulting from either the predator or fireteam playing aggressively for a “win”, which has led to a lot of accusations about people “not playing the game right”, etc. When match times end up being shorter than it takes to queue for and find them, I think we all agree that this aggravates both issues.

There have been a lot of good suggestions about various ways to combat this issue, but the problem with most is that they tend to be too prescriptive, I think. In other words, they involve imposing rigid conditions that artificially prevent matches from ending until a certain period of time has elapsed. I’m not a big fan of restricting player agency in this fashion, as it will inevitably annoy as many people as it pleases.

The germ of the idea I have for a solution is stolen from the upcoming Aliens: Fireteam, which will feature a “card system” that applies random modifiers to each match in order to create variety and promote replayability. In the case of Predator: Hunting Grounds, the dynamics are a bit different, so let me identify the core of the problem first of all:

• Currently, the predator has the ability to end the round with a “win” with a successful rush on the enemy. This is particularly true when there is a skill imbalance between the two sides;

• Likewise, the fireteam can force a “win” either by blitzing their objective and escaping, or actively pursuing and downing the predator. Again, this is heightened through a skill imbalance;

• The underlying problem, however, is that each team knows this about the other, which allows them develop strategies that are more likely to deliver these outcomes, and shorter matches, with more regularity. Aside from minor variations in the location and specific requirements of the objectives for the fireteam, there isn’t much one side doesn’t know about the other.

As such, I think one way of encouraging longer match times without restricting player agency, or even outright preventing a rush strategy, is to add a layer of randomised secondary factors that sometimes run contrary to the primary objective of each side. The greater the variety in these, the less predictable gameplay will become, and therefore the less certainty that a limited number of strategies will prove to be effective time and again. You would also never be quite sure which one the other side currently has in play. Some examples might be:

• A time-based multiplyer that encourages predators to space out their kills with increased rewards the longer the match progresses;

• A bonus for using non-lethal “terror tactics” on the fireteam (e.g. traps, taunts, net shots, etc) a certain number of times during the match before killing them;

• Stealth-based criteria for each fireteam member that encourages them to play more cautiously and methodically when pursuing their primary mission objective;

• A late-match bonus for emptying a certain number of clips through sustained fire, encouraging something like the scene from the original movie (after Blane’s death) and signposting their position to both the AI and predator.

These are just some ideas, but there are plenty more interesting possibilities. As for how to incentivise players to actually pursue these secondary bonuses, it could be increased veritanium and a recurring weekly challenge like “Successfully complete 10 match modifiers”, or perhaps an additional “prestige” ranking that delivers labels specific to each one (e.g. “We hit nothing!” for the sustained fire objective, or “Truly dread” for predators that successfully terrorise the fireteam). Again, multiple possibilities on that front as well.

Ultimately, I don’t think we should be preventing people from ending a match early, but certainly give them more compelling and rewarding reasons to choose not to. Then everybody wins, not least of all the game and its lifespan.

2 Likes

All of these you mentioned would be ignored by a lot of ppl.
None of these sound good enough tbh.

But the concept is good.
Instead have random factors that show up.

A deadly stargazer squad that is extremely dangerous for ft to even think about fighting,
That’s there to hunt the pred.

Meaning the pred will have to pretty much fight them in order to get to the ft.
However pred can also use this and lead them to the ft.

It would have to be a bit dangerous for pred as well, but this way, pred and ft might not even end up running into each other.

Second idea, mission objectives can be failed, forcing ft to take longer on the mission.
Or, new objectives have a chance of popping up.

Ppl wont really care about challenges.
Some will do them occasionally.

Its gotta be more active.
Really change up the flow of things.

4 Likes

That’s definitely another possible approach. The potential problem there is that you might end up with wild and random difficulty spikes, depending on what the game decides to throw at you in each round. I don’t think anyone would be happy if both sides got taken out by the AI. XD

Incentives offer a more passive way of altering player behaviour, but you’re right about the rewards having to be good enough. That’s a detail that would have to be developed and integrated further. No amount of veritanium and XP is going to motivated a player who has reached the level cap and unlocked most of the cosmetics etc.

They don’t want longer matches , buddy . Shorter matches mean shorter que times , personally I think that’s why it was so imbalanced for a long time , shorter ques .

Besides that what other way could they make ques shorter without much larger influxes of players?

Great suggestions.

Some suggestions I’ve seen floating around that would also be sweet to see implemented one day:

• interact progression remained where it did after a player stopped interacting with it, (usually if you interact with something someone else did, it starts all over)
  • If interaction times were slightly longer
  • if missions were more spread out around the map to encourage map travel.
  • if missions have destructible items, gate them so you can’t complete mission portions before their actual mission portion pops up.

Seems like this run and gun style has stuck for the past year, doubt they will move away from this model : /

1 Like

The trick is getting the incentives to work.

They incentivize the hell out of FT (XP boosts and pretty much the only way to gain VT) and the pred que times are still long for obvious reasons. I’m not saying it’s a bad idea it’s just tricky to make it appealing with what you have in game. There’s a large portion of the playerbase with more VT than they could ever use and have been max level since 2 weeks after the level cap was increased.

2 Likes

Been max level 2 days after since their last level increase :(

Understanding they seem to only be interested in bringing new players. (Xp like you said is the incentive yet A TON of ppl don’t need xp anymore)

Guess it’s smaller than we think? Idk : /

1 Like

Nah this whole idea is dumb!!!

The ft would still rush the obj and the Predator would still rush the ft!

I’m not following the logic there. Match duration shouldn’t have any effect on queue times unless people are quitting the game as soon as a match finishes. The issue is the ratio of predator to fireteam players, isn’t it?

If you’re having to wait 10 minutes between matches either way, spending at least 10 minutes in each one has to be preferable to a host of shorter ones.

I’m not sure. I can certainly understand trying to drive sales and build the playerbase being priority over player retention in the first year. It depends on numbers that only Illfonic and Sony have though (active player base, length of time playing, duration of play, sales numbers etc)

Honestly, if the a.i. are that tough,
And I die to them due to difficulty,
Then by all means.

I usually play my games on the highest difficulty, so I like fighting hard npc’s.
Thing Is tho, if pred gets taken out by this a.i,
Then the squad moves on to the ft.

I honestly would not mind fighting this as ft.

Btw it’s not About the rewards.
It’s more about whatever it is that’s used to extend the match, its gotta be fun and interesting.

1 Like

I forgot we talked about this.
SURE WOULD BE NICE TO GET CONFIRMATION ABOUT THIS FROM THE DEVS THOUGH.

1 Like

In regards to this, que times at one point where like 15 minutes estimated or higher.

Make pred easier to kill, means ft runs through the match quicker, means theres another ft ready at a faster rate for pred.

If this is the case it’s the scummiest approach ever.
Cause its fkn over preds.

2 Likes

All they need are more objectives

But unless that predator player quits after the match they just continue on against the fireteam, right? Or is there some switcheroo system in place that I haven’t noticed?

The moment the pred is out of the picture, the ft becomes the target.