dissapointed by the "original" pred designs

been playing as pred the last month, love the game (as a big fan of the old pred movies)

was looking forward to unlocking (or even buying) some new preds (super happy with the elder class i just unlocked)
my disappointment comes from the fact that lots of the new preds are based on human civilizations (egytian, viking, samurai …)

i love sci fi, because of the “alien” factor, because of the unknown and speculation u can do yourself on their alien civilization and traditions
why not design “alien” preds, if that makes sense, preds NOT based on something we allready know?
with alien weapons, and not a samurai sword or battle axe, slightly sci fied?

much like when i saw the end scene in predator 2 as a kid
i was so in awe with the looks of the different preds that uncloak, and all look a bit different
it got my mind going on what kind of preds they where, what their story was.

9 Likes

They don’t have enough imagination.

5 Likes

i think so, and tbh im not going to pretend its easy to come up with something alien and original

this is a annoyance i have with lots of sco fi movies aswell
the movie starts, aliens are coming, their spaceships look alien, but when u finally get to seen the alien, its basically a human(oid)
the engineers in the prometheus movies for example
i love the skeleton in alien of the space jockey, in the book they even talk about the fact that it looks like the space jockey was grown out of, or into, the chair]
but when we finally get to see them, they are basically big white humans

i did like, for example, the aliens in “arrival” , they where (for me) convincingly alien
or for that matter the alien (xenomorph)
yes its a humanoid creature (a head, two arms, two legs), but they way it looks and behaves, they way its lifecycle goes, is sufficiently strange and alien enough for me to be interesting.

but again, it must not be easy to come up with something truly alien
sometimes, when i cant sleep, i try to think up what an alien could look like, something thats not familiar from what we seen on earth.
i never get it before i fall asleep, its like trying to think up a color that doesnt exist (-:

1 Like

Also even IF ilfonic thinks of something alien, the second people start crying about it, it will get nerfed. But if fireteam gets something new and people complain about that, it gets buffed.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if that were the norm, just looking at how evolution has converged on certain body plans multiple times even after mass extinction events in the distant past.

1 Like

They thought a club, sickle, and regular sword held backwards was equivalent to stuff we’ve seen like retractable combistick & wristblades.
Now that I think about it none of Illfonic’s melee weps have any high tech aspects to them. Just boring peices of metal.

2 Likes

The thing is these are supposed to be older predators that hunted in those times so those are the weapons they used not that they made those weapons now and use them instead of the better weaponry they have. I get why they made them but they could’ve also made other ma like he said they don’t all have to be based on human things

Its lame though.

Preds whole gimmick is using high tech weaponry not sharpening a regular stick out of a tree or hammering a peice of metal into a club.
And definitely not an entire roster of weapons that are just plain peices of metal.

Yes I n know but also if you look into their lore they’re very tribalistic and like to have honorable duels so it makes sense that they would create weaponry similar to their foes if they hunted in those time periods to have more of a challenging battle. Yautjas like the thrill of the hunt and wouldn’t want to just shoot plasma at a knight that only has a sword. Yeah it’s definitely boring since this is a basic game and they should’ve only used high tech weapons since humans have guns and some high tech weapons from predator tech. This game is just wasted with illfonic and an open world predator game would’ve been much better or even a story based on that goes through different time periods and then the simple weapons would make more sense.

They’re three times the weight of the thing they’re meleeing. There is no challenge they could beat them 1v1 unarmed without need for little hand weapons like that just makes wristblades redundant.

but yeah its a waste of “DLC weapons” they completely missed the point. how do you go from a smart disc and combistick to a sickle?

Agree SO MUCH

I basically hate all of the “human culture inspired” Preds (except for the samurai, but that’s a forbidden pleasure I always had),
it doesn’t have any sense for the to make them so human-centric:

we’re talking about an alien species who hunted who knows how many races across the galaxy, why the hell everything must spin around our little useless globe.

Yes I know but they try lol and yeah the devs should’ve just focused on futuristic tech he’ll we got Dutch 2025 it seemed like they were gonna go that way with him being roided up on predator blood but idk

Life on earth is incredibly diverse, it comes in all shapes and sizes
humanoid life, or even all life with 2 arms 2 legs and a head (like a horse or whatever) are far less in number then life that doesnt look anything like it on earth
think of birds, all life i the sea, all plants and bacteria, insect and on and on
all successful organisms wo survived earth for way longer then humans
all of this life shares the same ancestor, and where adapted to life in the same biome, and even then there is this crazy diversity in form

now imagine a planet unlike ours, a different gravity, air pressure, atmosphere, and aliens there wo are NOT part of our tree of life.
i think it would look quite different

but the honest answer is ofcourse we dont know, could be wrong, but id be very surprised if its anything like star trek tho

This can only be true to a certain extent, because if a planet was two different from ours had too little or too much gravity, too little or too much carbon, oxygen, or nitrogen, it’s unlikely that any life would form, let alone evolve past microorganisms.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure there are big holes in our understanding, and there are probably very interesting paths that complex lifeforms could take, but there are probably very few ways to be cognitively complex, tool using, social life forms.

This might contradict me, but what do I know. 🤷‍♂️

Nonetheless, interesting video on alien life.

1 Like

On the contrary it’s only the movie based preds that have disappointed me

1 Like

i just wanted to say thanks for the guide, do you think you could add some stuff about how the predator cloak and traps etc. work in the game?

1 Like

Actually, I’m currently working on a predator YouTube guide.

1 Like

what we really want is to find life, even microbial, that is not part of our tree of life, and had its own genesis
this is the reason for all he mars missions, to find microbial life on mars thats (hopefully) is not part of our tree of life
id be interesting to see what thats like, if it even has DNA like all life on earth has.
id be super disappointing if it turns out it is part of our tree of life, and traveled between earth and mars in meteors (panspermia)
this way we are still left with an example of 1 of life, and with only one example its hard to say anything about alien life.

im rambeling, u probably know this allready (-:

ill check out the vid u send, interesting stuff
i hope to get some answers in my lifetime (e.a. they find microbial life on mars or Europa)

1 Like

try to0 find a good tutorial on YT, but heres some hard fought tips i found out by playing and failing over and over again as pred (-:

-the pred is super noisy, try to jump and leap as much as you can, his footsteps are really loud
-the cloak works after 3 seconds of standing still (is crouching better then standing after hose 3 sec, i dont know)

-after activating your cloak, it also takes a few secs for the cloak to do its thing, u can see this yourself when u activate your cloak (so always activate your cloak like 3 secs before you engage)

-what works sometimes is going stealth, jump near the fireteam, but in a bush or something, not out in the open, wait for 3 secs, then go ham with ur ranged weapon while stealth

-activating your vision mode not only makes a loud sound, it also lights up your eyes a bit, easily seen by the fireteam if the look your direction, you can turn your back on the FT when activating the vision mode to negate this a bit

-i dont play much with the bear traps, for me they get spotted too easy by good FT members, but i do believe the beartrap is a good item, im probably not using it right

-i do love the motion tracker, it makes for easy plasma caster shots when the FT is tracked

• as a new pred id start with “large pouch” and “medic” as perks, the large pouch gives more healing (5 in total) devices, and more importantly, the medic skill lets you heal (50%?) faster, and even more important lets you “heal” 50% (?) faster when your second wind is popped.

-as a new pred id start with the hunter class and its tracking specialization, the one thats lets you see mudded up FT members when you use target isolation. This will spare you the time looking for the FT, and will get you right in the action. This is also a great tool too check if the FT has split up and is sneakily trying to do 2 missions at the same time.

-bind your vision and cloak to some key easily accessible (i put my vision mode on my side mouse button, i be switching a lot between cloak and specially vision mode.

-walking in trees, and also climbing up a tree makes tons of noise an creates falling leaves, try to avoid that, u can however jump straight up on the branch (and not climb into it) and instead of walking on the branches, jump from one branch to another. This makes was less noise, and still gives you your height advance.

-get used to the delayed ranged weapons the pred has, all ranged weapons (except maybe the wrist launcher) have a good amount of delay and needs leading your target
at first u might suck with these weapons, but keep at it, once you get used to it, it becomes an invaluable tool in your arsenal.

-you dont have to (quick) claim downed fireteam members, u can also shoot them from ranged about three times to kill them…i never did this, and once i realized this, things def became easier, although it feels a bit cheesy sometimes.

-a handy as your cloak is, your better tool to stay hidden is your leap ability, specially in combination with your cloak. Attack, jump, attack again, get a new position and so forth…make sure you have enough stamina to make a jump when engaging, it always suck to go into melee, but after a bad engage you are stuck there for a bit cause out of stamina.

so u started a new game, the map has just loaded.
Firstly u make your self to the opposite side of the map (or like 3/4 there), the fire team always spawn on the other side of the map.
you use your target isolation (which cant fail with the hunter perk), and make your way to the FT.
firstly i get close, just to test out the waters, see how good the FT is.
If im immedialty spotted, thats a bad sign, and means i have to play careful and from range, if not the FT is probably not so good, and you can start having some fun.
if its a good FT (and i get spotted fast), i stay ranged, use my target isolation whenever i think they split up, and quickly kill the guy on his own.
if they also stay together, i try to stay ranged, get one down, and either kill him ranged, or let him live to lure in his buddies to revive him, so i can easily kill them too.
having said that, some FT (members) are insanely good, and some games i just cant win, id be happy to kill like 2 members

if you get one of those guys wo just spots you whatever you do, and is consantly chasing you, u can (sometimes) make this work to your advantage.
let him chase you, try to lure him away from the pack by showing yourself, and then try to quicky kill him when hes alone
this is easier said the done, some guys have amazing melee skills as FT, so use a mix of ranged and melee
or use your wristblades/plasma caster combi…two slashes with melee, when they guy gets out his knive use plasma caster at close ranged and then melee again when he goes for his gun
or, if have a good aim, the good old combi stick throw, and some slashes to finish him off.

-play fireteam matches (boring) to lean the other side

those are my tips, for what its worth
been playing a month, so im far from a pro, but considering how bad i was at start, im pretty confident now, win most of my matches