Fear Factor Ability Idea

Do you guys remember when the Predator was scary the first time you watched the films, or how suspenseful it was making you look literally in the background for any sort of movement? I wasn’t only inspired by this idea by the first or second movie, but also the Friday the 13th game Illfonic made with Jason scaring the camp teens. I was thinking of how the Fireteam when wearing a default skin (signaling a new player, not counting DLC or OWLF), that their reaction to spotting Predator Tech would be a lot more shocking:

Fireteam: “The hell is this?” / “This is highly advanced for a bunch of Guerrilla Fighters” / “Command, we have a problem”.

When spotting the Predator while clocked or I clocked would go like:

Fireteam: “That’s…that’s not human” / “WTF is that!?” / etc.

I just think that when a regular soldier or human being in fact see something that they weren’t trained to deal with, or even seen before would send a shock factor through their system. Ultimately having them have a mental breakdown from the overwhelming amount of stress from seeing their squad get whipped out. This would also be affective when a Fireteam member witnesses the Predator rip a downed Fireteams skull from their shoulder, even more when the Predator does a long claim.

The Fear Factor will show its true power when Predator does a Quick Claim, Long Claim, or Silent Takedown. This would have AI’s who witnessed this event sending them packing with their tails between their legs, running and screaming in fear. The effect it would have on a Fireteam member could be similar to Friday the 13ths ability to turn Teens visions into tunnel vision, with less and less of the screen becoming visible till they are far away from the event at which it took place. The Fireteam member will actually be talking to themselves or who ever is left with them, to calm themselves down.

Now as for those who have accomplished the 100th level mark and wear the Elite skins, their reaction (Along with Dutch’s & Dante’s) would not so much send them into a state of fear, but a form of PTSD. Their reactions would be much calmer then that of the newly Default Fireteam members:

Elite Fireteam Members: “Shit…it’s here…” / “Looks like the f*er didn’t learn his lesson the first time” / “I know your here asshole, are you gonna be the one to finish me off?” / “I’m not ready to die just yet”

Dutch (Old & Young): “Billy…God Billy” / “Dillon…you damn fool” / “Mac…this ones for you” / “Poncho…” / (When holding Ol’ Painless) “…Let’s show them that this old Dinosaur still has some grit left in him Blain” / “Hawkins…”

Dante: “Your the reason I still fight” / “…I will not lose another team…”

Now as for if this ability should be a natural thing in the game or a perk for Predator is still up for debate for me. However if it were to be a Perk, I’d label it:

Fear Factor: Able to stun or scare Ai’s away from your location, will scare fireteam causing their vision to worsen when doing Quick Claims or Long Claims.
(Perk would cost 6 or 7 cost to add to you Perks)

Now before the Fireteam players get all angry about how OP this would be, Fireteam will have a Perk to counter this…per say:

Grits: Fireteam Member can recover from Fear Factor much faster then normal, vision will not worsen as bad as normal.
(Perk will also cost 6 or 7 cost to add to Perks)

Anyways what do you guys think? Let’s discuss and debate.

No fuck no…

Fear mechanic shouldnt be locked behind perk wall.

Fear mechanic should be a passive ability for predator considering how many perks fireteam has been given considering there are 4 members in the team and predator is only one.

And his perks are highly useless now there is no question to that. Making him boring to play and making entire game boring.

The game has very bad replayability function.

How i picture the fear mechanic to function is by being a passive ability that is always there and it has RNG and is in favor for predator only.

It happens when you kill one member of the fireteam crew and there are 3 left, the audio starts to echoing as in predator clicking n shit…

If one fireteam member starts to go solo rambo mode hunting either he becomes very weak and can be killed easily.

Or… (this one i prefer more cause its fair)

The person that goes for solo rambo mode can be stealth killed and skinned alive very easily even if he gets slashed by predator once or plasma shot once and can be stealth killed easily.

Anyways the less fireteam alive the fear becomes intense.

1 Like

I said if it where to be a perk, but I love your idea of it being a passive effect.

This is what I can agree on 100% considering people have to learn how to work together as a team.

Yeah i mean there were people arguing about how my idea is shit and it would turn the game into DBD… and i dont see that happening… nor why should the fear mechanic in game be the same as DBD… where is logic with that… so if one game decides to make a fear mechanic… no other games can have it?

Kinda dumb that others attacked me for suggesting fear in pred game… when it clearly needs to have a similar mechanic… cause without it, its just a bland UNENJOYABLE gameplay.

1 Like

I was never scared of Predator

It is an action movie

In the words of the great Stone Cold Steve Austin

FUCK FEAR

2 Likes

FT never gets curious over the Guerilla fighters because they know they’re backed by Stargazer. Heavier Enemies wearing balletic gear actually are Stargazer Agents.

FT is already aware of the predator and expect it to show at some point OP.

Tense and watching for the cloak yes, scared like they’re counselors fighting jason no.

1 Like

Fun fact about that!

In the podcast of the executive director of illfonic and director of predator game, they talked about and i quote “make the predator more vicious than jason”

So technically in all the movies except the latest one 2018 they were not so aware the soldiers on the field.

And once they got killed one by one they built up panic and fear until they got their shit together.

1 Like

Can’t argue against illfonic’s own words ;)

This was all before launch… and oh boy they were so wrong… with false advertisements.

Also im just gonna put this too as a reference…

They said they will stick to basic 1987 weapons but they decided to bring in 2025 dutch and his tech and shit like samurai pred etc… viking who nobody asked for…

Fear could be nice. Decreasing their accuracy from 120% to 80%. Shaky hands of course. Tiny bubbles in bio-vision exposing accelerated heart rate was an idea a while back…I guess the yautja race don’t do that no more. Each FT could have different tolerance levels as stated. But I fear that more bugs will appear and the FT team will still be impenetrable.

1 Like

That’s a useless perk. How you going to get a claim off let alone be able to punish with such a weak affect.

Way to expensive I might add as well