I think some people are missing the point...

So, I’ve been reading a lot of threads here and I get the distinct feeling that many players are missing the point of the Predator itself, meaning the character we play. This creature is a hunter, first and foremost and hunters stalk their prey. Slowly, deliberately, quietly and then they strike. Everyone who has hunted in real life knows this. Anyone who has watched nature shows should know this also.

The Predator also wants and is expected to face a challenge. None of its hunts are meant to be a cake walk. There is always risk to the creature involved. The Predator knows and accepts this. As players, we all should too. We can’t expect to mow down every fire team we encounter. Remember, in the classic film, the Predator killed one, maybe two fire teams before Dutch arrived, and nearly killed all of them too. Thats what usually happens to me in the game. I win a few, then I either lose one hard, or have to self detonate. Theres always that one FT here and there thats really good.

Also, remember that the classic Predator never waded in to Arnold full team. He picked them off, one by one. So, when someone charges into a full 4 person team and dies (I was guilty of this at lower levels. My excitement got the better of me, kinda like City Hunter) they shouldn’t be surprised, berserker or not.

Something else we should all remember is the time this game takes place. 2025. The OWLF in the game is well aware of the Predator incursions and are ready for them. Based upon the in-game dialogue the FT spouts from time to time, you can see that they know about the Predators. Its no like 1987, where no one had any clue what they were up against. This makes being the Predator that much more challenging. Also, Dutchs tapes give this away too.

Then, we come to the fact that the Predator is mortal, and don’t wear much in the way of armor. They get shot, cut etc, they bleed. If we as players are bleeding a lot, we need to figure ways to bleed less. Namely, get shot less and be more stealthy, if possible. I believe it was the loading screen from Duke Nukem Forever that said, “when being shot at, try to avoid bullets.” Sound advice. The Predator is a creature of great strength and stature, compared to humans, and is strong vs 1 or 2 unprepared humans. However the FTs in this games story are seldomly unprepared so we can’t be surprised when they see what we’re up to. Ive been baited into several traps, set by skilled FTs. They have yet to get me in one (one came close once. It cost her her life.), and therin lies the challenge a Predator seeks. Worthy prey.

In the same way, I think many players forget what playing as FT should be. You’re part of a team (I know, I know, not everyone has a mic, etc) and there’s a mission to accomplish…as a team. We’re supposed to defeat the Predator and AI units as a team. One guy theoretically should not be able to dominate the Predator in a CQC fight, but on rare occasions it happens, ala Dutch and Harrigan.

If we recall, Harrigan went against City Hunter, who still had most of his gear, just no plasma caster or mask and only when Harrigan sunk 7-ish shotgun slugs into him did he go down, and he didn’t die then either. So 1 on 1, Predator has the advantage, but 4 on1, the advantage is with the FT. When I get stomped by a Dutch, or a Support unit sure, I cuss, but hey those are the breaks. When the team and I defeat a Predator, it, to me, legitimately feels like an accomplishment. As it should. Defeating a 9 ft tall, cloaked alien big game hunter SHOULD be a challenge. A fireteam should not steam roll a Predator.

Naturally, it all comes down to player skill really, but thats the balance Illfonic has been attempting to reach, and I feel like they’ve done it pretty well. I was fine with the game at launch. Ive asked for no buffs or nerfs. I would like to see the Predator get a parry move, but thats basically it.

I also kinda feel like some players expect the game to be easy, like it should have a difficulty setting. These kinds of games don’t have that. By nature, we must practice to win, just like a real sport. Its almost like some players want it to be like a single player game where you can just hit the easy switch (and yes, I want SP mode too with more difficult AI troops and AI predators, in case no one else is playing or whatever.). I play Skyrim with the Predator mod on, and its great, but it does make it a little too easy, so it gets boring pretty quickly. This game, for me, does not get boring because Im not playing against some program that I can predict exactly what its gonna do after multiple plays. Im going against real people and that makes it all the more interesting. Thats it. Am I crazy that I like it the way it is? I dont think so.

7 Likes

yeah…but FT? Like …the entirety of the movie Predator 1987…If i’m not mistaken…forgive me if i’m wrong…i’m not sure…but fuck. IDK.

Needs paragraph breaks, Jesus that was hard to read…

I agree.

So it was worth the struggle, but you could make it easier for others.

1 Like

Better?

2 Likes

Yeah sorry if my way of saying it was rude.

Reading long posts on forums can be a chore if they’re not formatted, and while I will read them anyway, a lot people won’t.

1 Like

I agree completely but the way the matches are set up, it rushes the predator in order to race with an FT who can steamroll through their missions, call reinforcements and then finally a dash to the chopper. It seems I’m always chasing rabbits unless I’m facing a premade, then I become the rabbit lol, and that does change the pace. I’ve played games that ended so fast, FT’s who called the chopper and reinforcements at the same time, and i already had two kills. FT’s who know the maps and missions well enough they force the pace of the hunt beyond suspense

1 Like

I’m missing what you’re laying down, brother. Spell it out please.

No problem. It was kind of a stream of consciousness the first time anyway.

1 Like

All i will say too you… when reading it all is…

Game core mechanics are broken for fireteam and by that fireteam is able to speedrun any match in around 3-5minutes… maybe less…

So no you cannot play as predator from either movies or comics… it was fun to play like what u described back around patch 1.04-1.06… but after that players now realise what to do as fireteam and that they control outcome of the game and not predator it self … AND BY THAT i mean fireteam can manipulate and abuse pig spawns, pick a location closer to objective due to no RNF Built in game… there is no bullet drop or bullet projection… while predator has bullet drop for both combi and bow… so in reality all that is telling me predator is limited to tryhard and basically spam plasma or the plasma pistol… either way… just go zerk and spam it really if u wanna win without sweating balls btw…

Final take on this… a lot of people know the point but either dipped out or are too scared to talk cause the forums is cursed and has bad devs and honestly no offense to most of you guys here trying your best… But most of this community people are just toxic literally… being in denial and being delusional…

And i know i will have people being like… So whats the problem here with no RNG… game is fine as it is lol…

Well its not and if devs dont end up making randomize objectives and locations… the fireteam can easily speedrun and fk with predator ultimatly making him lose…

do take a read btw i support ur topic

Idk, I play the way I described as much as possible. Every now and then I run into a hit squad. Even if I only get 1 or 2 kills and survive, I consider that a partial win at least. I get a-head (😉) and get to walk away. Surviving is more important that outright winning in this game.

1 Like

Mmm well i dont judge people but ur a keeper ngl… keep that personality and way you play… ik im not satisfied with one or two kills when i know that its practically unfair lol… Like legit i can win if the game was made fair but its not… and people who tell u its fair they are lying or either they are new… and need time to realise lmao

Yeah wish they made it more immersive when taking spines n shitt… like let us skin people n shit xD…

I think we mostly agree that hunting as predator should be a challenge. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to want another cookie cutter asymmetric game. Illfonic is close, but IMO it is still a little too easy for the predator to wipe out the whole fireteam. Basically, besides the plasma caster, the ranged weapons are about 10% to 15% to strong, but mostly everything else is bearable. Also, when the pigs spawn, there are way too many. But it should not be easy for the predator, until it’s 1v1.

It’s also a little too easy for FT to call the chooper in 3 mins and never run out of healing items while they camp under the docks.

Pigs aren’t useful if FT moves quick, it’s just time for Pred to be off their backs. Pigs can also be a game saver for pred, but with FT’s reinforcement, only by sheer luck am I able to be there on time to stop them all from being reborn minty fresh. Pigs don’t even compare. But if FT isn’t rushing missions and pigs are spawning still, it’s makes a mobile pred invincible lol. But that is the fault of the FT for not continuing their missions and forcing the pred to move with them

limitations on ps4 is why maps are so small and the missions are the way they are.

Negative. Star wars battlefront 2 runs at 60fps and it has more players in a game and a lot more going on screen.

Yeah, but we can’t stalk and hunt slowly we only have 15 minutes to do this and if left untouched the ft can complete the objective in 5 minutes so there’s really no time to actually stalk and hunt. It’s either rush in and try to melee them all or stay away and blast them with the plasma Canon / arrows, no time to wait on this game as pred.

Ok, case in point, I just got crushed by a good FT. Even though I think its dumb that an FT member can chase me down on foot, it’s what it is. I lost. I gotta get better.