Parry needs a cost of some sort.

I just want to say my peace in the Feedback section because I’m not sure if any ones checking the General Discussion section the same way.

Parry as it is now undermines the overall effectiveness of the Predator solely because of the way it works currently. The mechanic as a whole seems out right unnecessary to some, and I’ll be honest. If it was outright removed I wouldn’t care. It does seem strange to me the fireteam guy just outright stopping a Predator. Remember what happened to billy? It’s just the arguments for outright removal sound very angrily and hastily made. Even though in reality the argument: “It stops melee spam. Git gud.” is invalid. Can the Predator stop bullet Spam? No! When he’s slashing you, if you and your team mate… Now, I didn’t say team. I said team mate. Meaning only two squad members, shoot him, he’s gonna need to back off. You landing your shots stops melee spam. Parry just sets the Predator up for failure.

I don’t think the mechanic needs to be removed if the FT member couldn’t just sit there mashing the parry button no timing, no limit, no cost, no skill. I know because I’ve done this. I had several games of me playing Predator. The BIG BAD ONE in the one versus four competition. I was being rushed by people holding their knives. When I go in only to get parried and hacked and slashed. The Fireteam effectively stopping me from doing what I’m supposed to do in favor of them being the slashers. I got frustrated and tried it myself. Went after the Predator with my knife. Was able to solo a Predator player. I was just mashing ‘v’ then landing an attack with the knife whilst he was in his stun animation. Your going to think: “He could have backed off!” Why though, I was alone? So a solo fire team member using a knife is enough to warrant the Predator backing off? Is that fair? Imagine if I wasn’t alone. Imagine him getting lit up by my team. Keep in mind he’s doing three points of damage to me out of my 150 health points. Is that worth it?

I suggest one or more the following changes to the game:
1.Make it cos’t 50% -75% stamina upon successful parry. 25% if they just mash and miss.
2. Make the knife break after repeated parry use like one or two parries. Not general melee use.
3.Make the damage taken upon a successful parry more than three damage.
4.If they miss a parry because of mashing they get an, “I’m stupid and open for punishment,” style animation.
5.Give the predator a higher Damage and stamina cost melee strike that can’t be parried, and also knocks over someone who tries.

I’m going to be real honest parry in its current state absolutely has counter play, but its not strong. Playing around these free parries isn’t actually fun. Its living in fear and limiting options. There are those who confuse that for balance but they’re just hypocrites who don’t notice how much damage a predator takes whilst being shot at. Right now I’m running the hand held plasma caster because I can choose to shoot it or use my wrist blades. So when I get a parrying member I can shift into fire mode. Problem: IT makes me super open.The slow paced aiming state the predator goes into, you might as well hold still. Also its an easy projectile to avoid. All the Predators ranged weapons have slow fire rates, and none of them are hit scan. The Predator looses in ranged warfare in this game because unlike the movies, for balance reasons, none of his stuff one shots you. So his advantage, for balance reasons, should be quick high damage melee strikes at the cost of being shot at not only as he tries to get close enough, but whilst he goes for them. As it is now that reward is ripped from you by one guy hitting one button repeatedly for free. The very thing they say its stops the Predator from doing. Its absurd. Please fix this Illfonic, I have faith.

2 Likes

Solution is pretty simple. Make it cost stamina. Once they run out they cant swing their knife until its recharged. At least that’s what I think it should be.

apparently they did add a cost this last patch, really didn’t affect how much u can spam it lol

I have no problem with parry. Maybe you skill is not enough.

I don’t have a problem being parried, don’t use the combi stick because it has the biggest wind up

Suggest your ideas here

That’s an okay assumption I suppose. You know maybe i’m just that much better with fire team. Running around with a knife not even using my fire arm. Delivering pristine Predator corpses. Got a lot easier when I switched my strategy to what I hate most in this game. Maybe I think you’re getting lucky? Playing people who don’t know how easy it is. Confusing your situations for skill? See how easy that is to do in a forum?

I’m not asking to be unstoppable, okay? A fact of the matter is you absolutely can gun down a Predator before he downs one person, let alone going in for the quick claim, or trying to stay and fight head on. This situation is made even worse, sitting there stuck in a stun animation that your “prey” can so easily put you in. It is counter intuitive.

Its only mean that your skill not good enough and now you try make suggestions from your experience.

i agree with everything you said here though i usually go with instead of knife breaking give it an internal CD something like if fireteam A parries then he can’t parry again for 5 seconds so then another fireteam member has to be their or he gets chopped up considering it only takes 2 parries to kill a predator if you have some of the more powerful guns in the game that one clip the predator

otherwise good post glad to see a sensible post

2 Likes

Bro I respect that, but you saying “I have no problem with parry,” is the same thing. Dude I’m doing really well with fire team, because of this mechanic, alright? So well in fact, its not fun, its just hilarious. One guy in this thread said “Don’t use the combi stick.” Why the hell are you all so okay with all this: Predator don’t do this, Predator don’t do that. Meanwhile fire team is like: “I’M GOING IN KNIFE ONLY! THIS PREDATOR IS BAD BECAUSE HE WANTS TO MELEE FIGHT!” I come from a background in Tekken. You know how parry’s/reversals work? They Typically can only parry specific areas, High,Mid,Low so you can’t just negate your opponent. Why? Because even low level players know their opponent at some point is going to attack. You are vulnerable to grabs if you choose to parry, and if your opponent does nothing and see’s you go for it. He will punish the missed recovery animation. This Parry mechanic does not give you that option, because its so fast. Even if you get a swing in because by some miracle they didn’t parry correctly. They can immediately try again because the predator doesn’t have any interruption with his strikes. “Time it to when he misses!” Whilst being lit up by his team!? Why didn’t I think of that? Oh yeah, because 20 frames(That’s a third of a second!) of bullet fire has my health below fifty. Fact of the matter is you’re sacrificing health and positioning to go smack a fire team member and there’s little reward for it with this parry nonsense. You’re choosing to cling to my “experiences” with the predator and loosing to this, but being willfully ignorant to me also winning against Predators doing this. It is not hard.

I wouldnt say party needs a cost, but rather certain ranged weapons need to be worked on and the other melee weapons need something to make them stand out to provide more options.

There are many counters to current parry that predators still dont use for some reason. But the fact of the matter is no other melee weapon REALLY stands out other than the combistick, and other ranged weapons require a lot of getting used to because they are not hit scan. For example, the hand held plasma caster is pretty much a troll weapon currently because it doesnt really have a place in any kind of engagement with how it works. Like a “close ranged, ranged weapon?” Makes absolutely no sense if you ask me. Also the Smart disc needs to be “smarter”. That thing was hella fast and terrifying in the movies, this ones like a kids RC copter with razor blades strapped to it. Still fun but could be a whole lot more fun with some speed and movement optimization.

But seriously the moment you learn how to use the net gun, slam, and all the predators ranged kit otherwise, parry doesnt become a problem, just a counter for brainless melee rushes or a way to make engagements interesting.

Melee rushers shouldn’t even be a thing. Their advantage is guns. Okay the only reason you can phase a Predator, is guns. It looks and feels stupid to have to jump through hoops to play around knife rushing FT members. You have those of us who appreciate the source material, or just realize how stupid this games meta looks at the moment against this imaginary wall. That we aren’t playing “well” or “right”. When it takes zero effort to be that guy on the fireteam who rushes the Predator with his knife.

Last patch added a stamina cost. But it wasn’t nearly enough. Should only have enough to parry 1 or 2 times at the most. Team should only have enough stamina for:

Assault and Recon: 2 Parries max, using 2 close together will be enough to cause exhaustion

Scout: 2 Parries and just enough stamina for a quick dash (parry should only be available with a certain amount of stamina. Meaning that if it costs 25 “points” and you only have 20, you can’t parry)

Support: 1 Parry and enough for a dash away

Can we all stop with this? You don’t have to be bad to dislike a game mechanic. I win almost all my games as the Pred. Even when the fireteam is brutal. I can deal with Parry, but I still don’t like it. I’m fine with it in the game but I think it should cost more. The patch added a cost, but you can still spam it.

If you like it that’s fine.

Yep. Has nothing to do with skill at the game. It’s just a dumb mechanic. Still needs to cost more.

A couple of days ago I suggested swords get added as a secondary weapon that are as strong as the knife is now, and the knife gets nerfed. I still stand by this suggestion.

I just don’t think the fireteam should be going toe to toe in a melee fight with the Predator.

[quote=“FattBrando, post:12, topic:5983”]
Last patch added a stamina cost. But it wasn’t nearly enough. Should only have enough to parry 1 or 2 times at the most. Team should only have enough stamina for:
[/quote]Fun fact it drains stamina but doesn’t cost stamina. I have a video up on youtube getting a solo kill on a pred, this is one of the points I make. You can parry with zero stamina.

Yeah, that shouldn’t be allowed, kinda defeats the point of it costing stamina. Lol, great fix Illfonic!

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.