Rendering Resolution

Can you please add an option to lower the rendering resolution like most games today?

This game is pretty demanding and at any resolution above the mainstream FHD (1080P) the performance drops like an anvil. I’ve seen people with RTX 3090’s with framerates below 60 in QHD and 4K resolutions.

The game looks pretty solid with all the graphics maxed out, but the framerate is horrible unless you play at 1080P or 720P.

Lowering the resolution on Windows is a major inconvenience and playing in exclusive fullscreen mode is prone to crashes, not to mention that makes it a major inconvenience for those who stream or record their gameplay.

I know Nvidia DLSS is a thing now, and I would love if you guys don’t go that route but instead use the tools provided by the Unreal Engine itself. Using DLSS will leave a lot of use that with the crazy GPU prices, have not been able and unlikely will be able to upgrade for the next year or two. And who knows… maybe it can even be implemented on console and give a much needed performance boost to PS4 consoles.

I’m tempted to connecting my pc to my 4k TV to see what performance I get in this game. Hmm…tempting 🤔

1 Like

There’s no need. You can activate DSR on Nvidia Control Panel and check the appropriate DSR factor for 4K on your monitor’s native resolution.

I get about 15 FPS at 4K if I set everything to cinematic. And about 75 if I set everything to low.

the framerate jumps like crazy though, even on the menu

But, wouldn’t native be more stable than dynamic? Idk much about that.

For all intent and purposes, resolutions in games are handled by the OS, because they are driven by the GPU driver which runs on top of the OS. Nvidia simply makes a virtual resolution that once Windows can see it, so does the game. Is something close to what people used to do back in the day overclocking monitors by creating custom resolutions that would allow panels output images beyond 60Hz and 75Hz. Once the Windows sees it, so does the game. So it shouldn’t matter.

Ah ok, got ya!

I haven’t had much experience with nvidia or Asus’s FSR but i think its fascinating!

if you all remember MAME, they had this thing called Video Blitter (2x super Sai) which smoothes out pixel graphics and made perfectly square pixels at fullscreen look uniquely smooth by applying some kind of vectorized blend curve between pixels. I kind of equate this technique as something similar. Time will tell whether or not game devs adopt it into the frame work as a solution we can choose. Ultimately we wont’ have to do so much leg work to make it work.
Right now, there is a simple solution that preps the technique which doesn’t yet have it. Lower your resolution to 1080p, set mode to windowed fullscreen, turn off AA and set scaling to 50% or something…and you get great FPS results still. This is the cheap way of doing fullscreen at 4k BTW. It will still give you jagged artifacts to a degree but essentially this is the starting point for which the FSR effect takes place. If it were implemented, some kind of augmentation would occur which would be layered ontop of the full screen 4k image which would have an alpha channel. Blending both would give the appearance of a synthetic 4k image.