Thermal vision, looks so meh

You’re welcome

Yeah, not sure green blood would give off the exact same heat signature lol.

no it doesnt do anything

i tested it there is no reliable indicator that it does anything.

pretty sure they have to actually be making sound when you happen to pan over them for it to show anything.

2 Likes

The comparisons you put up look much worse than this game’s thermal vision to me…
It would be so much harder to see in thermal if the game looked like that.

1 Like

If we go really into thermal imaging… (love this topic)

The movie was actually shot using a real really low resolution thermal imager that they had to mix in with real camera footage otherwise the audiences wouldn’t even know what they’d be looking at from the POV footage.

These days thermal imagers are higher in resolution where we can actually recognize shapes and are able to identify human vs animal. a quick search does tell me that there are finally some HD level resolutions available, but we’re talking about really high prices here and larger, non hand-held sizes.

I myself own a Pulsar Quantum XD19s that has a resolution of 384x288 pixels and that is already considered a high resolution thermal imaging device.

Some points where P-HG has it wrong:

1. Predator’s armor should be transferring body heat from the predator so should also light up, though less than the actual body heat as it’s transferred and also cooled by the outside temperatures.
  2. Wrist computer, electronics build up heat, should also be seen. Display lets through a different amount compared to the body.
  3. Sun provides hot spots on ground and flora (anything it touches really) which should also be seen clearly in thermal imaging. The longer the exposure the warmer (and brighter) the spots.

Though, even UBI didn’t get it completely right. Sure it has a lot of the above, but thermal does not “see”, it “senses”.
So seeing things through glass cannot be done as it’s a solid surface that blocks LWIR, but emits its own as well as reflecting them back like a mirror.

Oh, and this also has to be said, farts and breath and other gaseous matter are not visible to Thermal imagers either.

In conclusion, Predator-HG has a very user friendly version of thermal implemented. Trust me, it’s a LOT harder to interpret thermal images in real life.

6 Likes

i will have to test it again then. Im gonna have to call BS on this though for now… there is nothing mentioned in the gameplay notes or the tutorial. I’ve played matches and tested it and while looking directly at them in a firefight the bar gets small and big and is seemingly random.

thanks for the writeup. I can agree some of the predator footage is disorienting. It worked well for the movie and establishing the really alien component of the predator along with the pitched sounds. I think a more accurate overlay would have done the trick with a tad more contrast in the jungle. more so than flat red, yellow, green. There are even mods for the AVP 2010 game which look fantastic.

1 Like

I’ve tested it.

Here is the latest test vid. https://youtu.be/pYbPFaxKgsM

You can see that it flashes and maybe gets bigger when sounds are present but by then I am already in visual range of the fireteam and it seems to be proximity based. the predator’s attack sounds seem to make it “light up” as well. I think it is more of a cosmetic feedback element than a reliable tracking method. There are sound bubbles for that. If you need to be looking at the fireteam and the fireteam making sound for it to do anything then you would just be looking at the sound bubbles… If you have some footage of putting this to use in a different way I would love to see it. i think it just reacts to on screen audio

Agreed. To add I have yet to see a game properly reproduce the properties of glass accurately. Like heat reflection and insulation, but in a game with an alien hunter so I’m not that picky. Realism aside, and yes this is subjective topic I know some people have no issues, I still think it needs the correct coloring, contrast, blur and pixelation noise to have that 87 movie feel.

1 Like

ya totally agree, Its only a nitpick, i only ever think about it on this forum like this. Its just a strange design choice, the sounds are truly on point. the predator design etc is really great. The thermal is just odd the way it was implemented. I can only assume budgetary constraints or time was an issue because the reference material is clearly available and this is not it.

Even without mods the 2010 AVP game has comparable graphics to this (imo better) and a much better look to the heat vision mode.

1 Like

Man did AVP 2010 really look like that…?

It looks ALOT better than this…thats crazy.

Problem i have with this game is how overly saturated it is, and it has no “filter”, its too clean and it doesnt show the terrain at all, very hard to use at times. AVP looks great holy hell…

Yeah I just took that screenshot about 30 mins ago and I think that is from the DX9 version. You can select DX9 or 11, I went with the default to take that SS.

God I love that game. Especially the predator story i would just play it over and over and over because i loved picking people off and stealthily killing them. Good times wish it was on ps4

Shooting bow in thermal is hot garbage

Yeah no, it looks fine and does the job fine too. Wouldn’t want that gross blurry shit making it harder to see, also ghost recon wildlands is a terrible, terrible game and nobody should think anything do with it is even remotely good. It is a total shitfest of a game

1 Like

IR Pic

Wish I could adjust the levels of thermal vision like I can with my infrared camera at work.

I want more visions and the vision mode to be like pred 2