Tired of Only Being Able to Queue FT

End of the day it just comes down to math combined with player behaviour.

You need 4 Fireteam players for every Predator. (80/20 split)

Predators are always going to be the more popular class to play, and you’re always going to have more than 20% of the players wanting to play Predator (because well, duh?).

There are already more incentives to play FT beyond the queue time (like the challenges), but that upsets people too, because why shouldn’t the Predator get some challenges? (Let’s just ignore the fact they could put in as many challenges as they wanted with no issue).

Is it really in the best interests of the game to make the Predator LESS FUN to play, so less people want to play it, thus reducing queue times? I mean, you’ve already got the issue of the Predator being destroyed by coordinated Fireteams in many cases.

I’m not sure there’s an easy answer for this.

Here are some rough suggestions

Reduce downtime between games
What I mean by this is things like

• Reduce loading times \ cinematics
    • Some may be dependant on player hardware.
    • Others are just for ‘fluff’. Like the chopper scene, the arm wrestle bit etc. It was cool the first 4-5 times, but after the 100th time, it’s just annoying.
  • Allow Fireteam players to leave without penalty
    • As long as they cannot be reinforced/respawned (< This means no detriment to other players)
    • A dead player who has left, has the potential to requeue for another game, reducing wait times for a Predator waiting for that last Fireteam member.
    • I’m NOT suggesting everyone should just be able to rage-quit whenever they want. Use your brain.
  • Allow Predator players to leave without penalty once killed.
    • Once the bomb has been defused, there’s no reason to force the Predator to stick around for the waves of AI enemies that follow. The Predator already needs to wait long enough, just let them go and queue up for a new game.

AI Fireteam support
This game desperately needs AI Fireteam support.
Look at games like Evolve as reference. They had AI team members. Sure they weren’t ‘great’, but it was SOMETHING.
Many players (especially new ones, or very casual ones), just want to play as a Pred, sometimes just to practice. They have no option. They jump into a game (after waiting ages), get destroyed by a Fireteam in half the time, and probably don’t play the game again for a week or ever.

When a Fireteam member quits/disconnects in lobby after countdown. BAM, game ruined. You’re instantly 3v1. Sometimes the game will continue, but often it just results in a chain reaction, and the game is over. Predator didn’t even get to play after waiting all that time.

Have AI replace disconnected/quit Fireteam members. 3+AI is better than 3+0.

Allow Players to hot-join games where a Fireteam member has recently disconnected/quit.

• You can add criteria to this to avoid players joining ‘dead’ games. (I can elaborate if needed)

• This can be an option the player can toggle (like Crossplay).

• Provide some XP/Currency incentive for players that are willing to hot-join “Games in Need”

• You could also add support for Hot-joining as a Predator in specific cases, but the likelihood would be much less. (But it does happen).

• I’ve had quite a few games that have been absent a Predator due to a disconnect or quit early in the game. These games would benefit from a Predator joining in the early-stages of the match.

For Illfonic to fix the god-damn crash/disconnect/signed out bugs

============================================

Now some of the above might sound like they improve wait times for Fireteam more than Predator, and that’s probably true. But who are the Predators waiting for? > Fireteam players. It’s a mutual beneficial relationship.

1 Like

There is more to this than player percentages though.
I have personally waited over 45 mins (15 minute cycles of leaving and rejoining the queue), to play as pred and then gone to FT just to get a game. Enter a lobby with full FT and no pred, wait a few minutes and still no pred and the entire FT had to leave the match.

I’ve also entered lobbies as pred and had no FT, waited over 10 mins and not one single FT.

There are serious problems with match making.
(most simple way to point this out, why is the no preference queue always longer than the FT queue? If anything they should be identical (because you are queued as FT if you are no preference), or the no preference should be shorter because you are actually in both queues).

3 Likes

Yep, I have experienced that a lot as well.

Yeah, this is a fair call.
Matchmaking is certainly broken somewhere a long the lines.

Case in point (game that loaded just now):

20 minute wait time to get in that match…

and had to leave it because no more FT.

No pref isn’t always longer than FT

But it’s certainly weird. I think it’s probably some kind of weird aggregate average between the average wait times and number of players in both.
Either way, it doesn’t seem right.

For me right now it’s almost the exact reverse of that lol:
Capture

1 Like

Pretty dumb :)

How I understand you.Безымянный Безымянный2 In your opinion, why not display the actual queue for Predator and FTL in the number of players, rather than the approximate waiting time ? ( Sorry in advance for my English )

Dude if you leave in general you should be penalized. no one likes a sore loser, stick it through or don’t play at all. quitting just makes it harder for the rest of your team members or if you quit as a pred. trying to justify leaving makes you encourage bad behavior. it needs to stop.

@Orune: What are you talking about?

Broken lobbies are nothing new. I’ve lost count how many times i have joined a lobby where a full Fire Team has to endlessly wait for a Pred to join. Why? Everybody and their grandmother wants to play as Pred. It’s because their entire backend is shoddy and always has been. New players not joining the lobby after somebody leaves is still an issue too. Nothing has improved over these past couple of months in that regard. It’s only become worse.

At least you can leave a broken lobby. The disconnections/log outs, however, are unavoidable and are currently affecting most if not all of us PC players. Who the fuck wants to queue for anything given the game’s unstable state?!

1 Like

100%.

The lobby/match-making system is definitely broken.
The issue seems so clearly defined as well, I don’t understand why it’s not fixed yet.

‘Once full’ lobbies, not replacing a left member before game start is so frequent, I’d go as far as to say it’s consistent.

It could be as straight forward as once a game is ‘full’, it removes itself from the match-making process all together, and doesn’t put itself back in once a player leaves. This ‘should’ straight forward to test and resolve from a development perspective.