Alcoholism

LOL The weed does keep freddy at bay.

2 Likes

The rare nightmare was when I was sober

Weed is like being in a warm blanket lol impossible to have a nightmare

Also I’m pretty sure weed is now federally decriminalized in the US

Progress

1 Like

Federally illegal still, but several states have legalized it anyways. For example my job doesn’t allow it and they drug test and if you fail it with any THC in your system they won’t hire you. Only because they go by Federal law on things like that not state, So, still faairly criminalized and several states have said no to medical and recreational

2 Likes

But, even if passed by the house, it can still be blocked and not become law. Still have a lot of war on drugs politicians that are highly against it. I am indifferent either way, but drugs like cocaine, meth, etc. that do serious harm and are highly addictive should stay illegal

2 Likes

I agree

1 Like

Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. Hallucinations and seizures are possible.

Group/family therapy is a good start. It is hard to care for someone that doesn’t care about themselves. Try to help understand that. Noone is an island. Explain concern a d show support.

2 Likes

I have flickers of dreams but the fidelity is turned way down, it’s one reason I smoke. I drowned as a kid and it leaves a mark in your dreams, no dreams are better then randomly being trapped in the water again.

It’s time for a intervention

@BadBlood I have had some experiences with Alcoholism. My aunt (on my mothers side) is an alcoholic who treats everyone like shit. When I was younger my family used to do holiday family reunion type events, and if it was on my mother’s side, it always went to crap because as a result of the alcohol, she was abusive to everyone. My uncle is generally nice to everyone, and I genuinely feel bad for him, and I see that it has taken a toll on him. My cousin is also relatively nice, but had been taking on some of the not so nice traits of my aunt (not alcoholism yet, not 21, but treating people badly, being needy etc).
We stopped doing family holiday reunions because of the alcoholism and arguments, and now schedule time to visit grandparents so that the two parts do not meet. The line was crossed when she yelled at me and my younger brother back when we were younger. Attempts were made to get her to go to rehab, but she has refused. I have no clue how they are doing as we have not met as a family in years. Some of the replies suggest family therapy, and I guess that is based on how close your family is. My family is not close enough, both physically and spiritually, to go to family therapy for my Aunt. Some things are just better left separated, I guess.
So, in conclusion, I would say your uncle needs to go to rehab given how serious it is, if he does not go to rehab, separation is best for everyone.

3 Likes

Good on you for getting sober! Not many have the strength to do that!

2 Likes

I spent the last 8 years working in outreach and addictions, I’m happy to answer any questions that you might have so feel free to direct message me, if there’s something I don’t know I have many friends in social services that can provide recommendations or guidance to me to you

6 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

Thanks @TheSenate and @SPLAT for your support!

So far he’s gone two days without alcohol!!

2 Likes

That’s really good! I would also say depending on how long the alcoholism has been, he should get screened for possible liver damage, just to be safe. (no offense, just a pre-med student)

3 Likes

Good call! Will do!

2 Likes

If he gets surly, don’t take anything he says personally. It’s just withdrawal talking.

1 Like

Just remember that falling off doesn’t mean failing, if the expectation is that the person’s never going to have a bad day and f****** then they’re more likely to give up. I don’t mean to say they get a day to drink or anything like that.

1 Like

Im of the mind that drinking is fine it’s the being drunk part that has to go

1 Like

Moderation is key

2 Likes