Back on the road (kinda)

Finally got my e-handcycle’s electronics fixed after waiting for almost half a year (thanks corona and brexit)… Can’t properly ride it though for any long periods of time due to an open wound pressure sore on my ass though, so it’s kinda bittersweet moment, but nice to have the proper 3 wheel setup back.

5 Likes

Well that’s nice

Would love to grab a hold of one of these, but they start at 15k$…

1 Like

Pretty cool design. The battery is in the back?

1 Like

Very cool! I like all the decals up front.
“This is the way” 🤘🏻

1 Like

On the Bowhead video battery is in the back, behind the rider a bit on the sides. On mine it’s the one on the front with all the stickers :)

1 Like

Mando approves.

1 Like

Speaking of handcycles, this is a worthy documentary to watch, my favourite, this guy is man of steel.

1 Like

Pretty cool design. How fast does it go?

Motor assist helps up to 25 kmh (by law here in Europe), but you still have to pedal, it’s like a normal e-bike, just for the disabled, after that it cuts off if you go faster on your own muscles or downhill. Fastest I’ve gone was around 65 kmh downhill, that would be around 40 mph.

There are various different designs with different motors and batteries and none at all which impact the way or where you wanna ride and your performance… :) Mine is more towards practicality rather than performance, it clips onto my wheelchair, it’s not a pure standalone recumbent handcycle like in the videos I posted, those are performance handcycles :)

2 Likes

That’s pretty fast. Kinda exciting but also a bit terrifying for me. I’m sure you’re used to it. Can you drift? 😁

The performance ones look amazing. I’ll check out the vids when I get home from werk

1 Like

Wipeouts every step of the way 😂. It does look like a lot of fun tho. I plan to buy a sub par mountain bike next year and I’ll try to hit the trails. Well see how long it’ll take me to get banged up 😁

1 Like

haha that guy is one of the best riders out there, he made a blooper reel :)

I can’t drift with mine due to how high I sit, I’d flip, it’s very easy to flip a “clip on” handcycle due to really bad center of gravity and bad weight distribution and it being a trike overall (trikes are unstable) :)

Yeh you can have a lot ot fun with performance handcycles, but they’re not practical, for example you cannot go into a shop with such handcycle, it’s too big, too big of a turning radius etc… But with mine, I can slap on a few pannier bags and go anywhere (city wise for example), if I don’t fit unclip etc… Very practical :)

https://z-p42.www.instagram.com/p/CK_1nv8B3xW/

1 Like

This guy, Martyn Ashton, pro cyclist also got paralysed, now he’s riding the Bowhead Reach (that I have linked above and below now).

1 Like
1 Like