Bear Trap 2.o A Necessary Rework

Hello, @Courier I love that the Predator can use Bear Traps. With that being said I’ve learned from experiences on both deploying them and being the recipient of its tenacious bite one thing is clear — the need to be reworked.

Below is an itemized wishlist of how the Bear Trap could be changed.

• Displacement Field radius and trap activation: Bear Traps can be seen from too far away and can trap a Target standing ~5 meters away. The displacement field bubble should be shorter vertically so it’s less noticeable and trap targets once they’re 1–2M away from a trap not ~5 meters as seen in the gameplay photos and video.

• Ability to disarm Bear Traps: right now if a trap is spotted by the FT they cannot safely disarm the trap. Please add a disarm trap function with our tactical knives similar to pocket-knife animation in Friday the 13th, or by throwing down an object such as gear we’re carrying — like an ammo pouch for instance.

• Bonus Bear Trap Inventory: because Bear Traps would be less potent as they are now because they could be disarmed. Increase the inventory for Bear Traps from 3 to 4 traps normally and from 4 to 5 traps while Large Pouch is active.

I was so far away from the trap, it grew legs walked over, then attacked me.

Bear Trap Footage

Jump to 10:00 mark to observe bear trap interactions.

1 Like

The distance is huge because of how easy it is to avoid some paths into camps the radius of the bear trap won’t even cover I do agree the vertical visibility needs a reduction it is quite easy to spot.

1 Like

That’s the problem tho, they’re easy to spot for avoidance but not easy to avoid because their active radius is nearly 15ft.

The trap itself is like 2ft in diameter yet I was hit by the trap like it was a hunk of magnetized metal and I was a super electro-magnet.

I saw their positions and was like if I can get close enough to the radio to call reinforcements without setting off the trap, maybe I can use radio.

I literally barely moved my Thumbstick and bam, hit by first trap, then broke free and barely moved again — got hit by second trap. I was about 15ft away from each trap when they got sucked over to my position to clamp my leg.

1 Like

Why not sacrifice a piece of FT equipment like ammo or health “to spring” the bear traps?

Equipment trade off?

Also feel the longer the traps stay on the floor, just like the camo the pred uses, should go completely invisible over time. Gives incentive to try to lure prey instead of randomly throwing a bear trap point blank and it possibly not even hit the FT…

@Courier

1 Like

I like those ideas. Would just need an aiming mechanic for dropping gear onto a trap to disarm it.

And I like the ides of well placed traps eventually loose their displacement field over time to be less noticeable.

1 Like

It’s a big field. The traps can capture the equipment like people!

Yeah, that’s why my feedback is suggesting their attack radius be halved to a 2 meter radius.

1 Like

If the OP were implemented it would improve gameplay interaction without waisting a perk slot.

What if we could use grenades to also destroy bear traps

Also bear traps sometimes stick to walls and become ridiculously easy to spot

IMHO, the beartrap animation on the device when it is deployed is actually really awesome. If you’re ever close up to it, please praise its spectacle!

Yeah it’s claws are massive. But I hate how it jumps 15ft to latch onto your leg 😂

Or maybe it was the motion detector? either one, it lands and does a sort of twist and turn that has a cool mechanical look to it. It looks like someone went to town on the animation. Wish someone had an animated gif of it though.

Maybe the energy field around it moves the bear trap when something disturbs it

I have a few ideas.

-Remove the Blue Sparks that occur from shooting a Bear Trap. It serves no purpose as you can’t destroy them and it just serves to make Bear Traps that much obviously there and clear to the eye.

-Drastically reduce the visual radius of the Bear Trap’s “aura” .

-Make it so that A.I can trigger it, but reactivates shortly after. This only occurs for A.I triggering the Trap.

1 Like

If bear traps are going to be destructable, or able to be disarmed, then they need to be more robust. They need to do more damage and permanently slow that player WAY the fuck down. Giant steel spikes just went through your leg. You’re not OK.

1 Like

I agree, if one is trapped they could get a broken leg limp and bleed damage🩸until they heal or their blood clots similar to Katana’s bleed damage.

I like this idea, fir right now Ai can set the trap off and unless it was intentional — the trap was waisted.

Traps set-off for any reason could be re-armed automatically after a cool down period, but that cool down window should be a couple minutes.

Leave the traps alone. FT has way too many advantages already. Bear traps are the only thing the Predators have that drives them crazy. DON’T TOUCH THE TRAPS AT ALL!!!

I disagree, hence the thread in the first place.

If a predator traps the entire Exfil/Reinforcement location and the FT can’t disarm the traps if they’re smart enough to see them then there’s literally only two choices, don’t go near traps or intentionally set them off.

Either way sucks.

Has anyone ever tried throwing something at it like a grenade,flashbang, or thermal noise?
Bet you nobody wanted to waste the ammo.