Definition of parry

parry verb (used with object), par·ried, par·ry·ing.

1. to ward off (a thrust, stroke, weapon, etc.), as in fencing; avert.
  2. to turn aside; evade or dodge:to parry an embarrassing question.

verb (used without object), par·ried, par·ry·ing.

1. to parry a thrust, blow, etc.

noun, plural par·ries.

1. an act or instance of parrying, as in fencing.
  2. a defensive movement in fencing.

Why is this an offensive/attacking maneuver in this game? Do not get me wrong parry deserves to be in the game, just not as an attack. I believe the introduction of the katana is just more proof of how bad the parry mechanic is. It also may have shown a solution…
Heavy and light attacks, every melee weapon should have heavy and light attacks if directly selected. obviously if you have something in your left hand and claws in your right it’s only going to be light attacks. Light attacks that are parried should cause minor damage heavy attacks that are paired should not cause damage at all.
The fire team can still deflect the predator shots saving their own health while the predator has a strategic choice on whether he wants light fast hits that may get him wounded or slow heavy hits that won’t get him wounded. The reality is even without the parry wounding the predator directly the fire team should be defending their mate anyway and shooting at said predator.
What are you guys think simple solution or far more complicated than I think it is?

1 Like

Parry is fine… it’s fine because the alternative is longer wait times.

If they do change Parry it should be to allowing you to hold the button as a way to block, making it a defensive action rather than an offensive one.

1 Like

That’s exactly my point. It should be a defensive tactic.

Let me see if I understand this correctly. When a FT uses a heavy attack that connects at the same time as the predators, a parry occurs? How is it used offensively? Genuinely curious.

Predator takes as much damage as if you were to put the knife in him. That is offensive, not defensive. It should be labeled as a counter-strike not Parry then.

So a successful parry damages the Predator?

Yes, have you ever been parried, it hurts, bad. 3 parries and the pred is all but dead. Don’t suggest gonna ham on melee.

I get parried all the time but never noticed the damage tbh just the stamina loss.

There is no damage, good FT members parry then immediately either slash or heavy stab. But Pred takes 0 damage from the parry, just a stamina loss and a short stun…OP needs to know what he is talking about before posting.

1 Like

I will have to fully test to make sure but I know I’ve came in with a Parry and been wounded. I did not see any other animations or anything. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong.
So basically fire team can swing the knife so fast that they can hit me in between two separate parries? That almost seems more not right than Parry causing damage.

Offense is your best defense, right?
Today’s Fireteams are like honeybadgers.

2 Likes

I’m one mean honeybadger when cornered by a predator, but for me the parry is more of a oh shit theyre right on top of me, I hate teams that chase down the predator, it’s like dumbasses were a team of spec ops troops sent to get the job that nobody can do done just like Dutch and his team killing the pred securing the body are good extras but shouldn’t be the basis of your fireteam gameplay IMHO, it should be do missions collect V and exfil successfully but unfortunately most people dont seem to operate like that

2 Likes

I like where your heads at man.
I just done a quick scour of the internet and it seems like if the predator is not damaged during the parry there are a lot of people that definitely believe it does. I’ve never had to do a hard test on this because I’ve always believed it did cuz it’s what it felt like.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it doesnt do damage but haven’t tested that myself, loosing can be frustrating for any reason but most the time I just say oh well and move to the next match

Yeah I’m going to have to test it I know I’ve jumped in a few times and got parried on my first hit and swear I took damage. If the fire team is so fast they can get a knife swipe in with the Parry then I guess that would make sense as to why I thought the Parry cause damage just didn’t see any other swipes or anything.

I personally think that’s lag, for example instead I get killed with 2 wrist blades but everyone says its 4 but I swear I only see 2 but when I tested that they’re right it was 4 it makes me think the animation lags at that point

You very well might have the right answer there. I will test it later on. I’m okay with being wrong I just feel like the predator takes so much damage that is not worth coming in from melee, and man I love coming in with melee. Lol

1 Like

Great part about pred tactical options, not that they couldn’t improve the cloaking for stealth but plasma caster, bow and thrown combistick have been most of the reason I die, sometimes to a melee but only if the sloppy AI rush is on and I cant here the predator ahead of the melee also add the fireteam that doesn’t team to the list of melee deaths get stuck with the dumb turtles or map edgers ugh

Parry is defensive. You can only parry if the predator attacks, and you still take a couple points of damage even if you land the parry.

Except heavy attacking will parry any swing from the pred that happens in between the animation. And then you get a free hit after the parry due to the stun. Which makes it offensive because heavy attacks are so poorly implemented they might as well be a shield bash.