General Prey Discussion

I like how the predator doesn’t care how its kills you just die

Oh fuck

The predator got shot in the back of the head. He was probably acting brain dead during the final fight BECAUSE HE LITERALLY WAS. That took me way too long too realize.

Still doesn’t excuse the bad taunting though

1 Like
  1. The snake. It attacked, so he killed it. He was searching for pray that fought back. Predators have all sorts of little skulls adorning their armor. Obviously they must’ve killed small animals, like snakes.

2. I believe you’re referring to when he pulled the arrows out of the first Comanche he killed. Again. He’s giving them a chance. This ain’t PHG. He clearly wants to enjoy making the kill, and he has the tools to repair damage, so that’s not an issue.

3. His battle with Taabe is fucking awesome. So what if he stands around a little. Again. This is not PHG. Besides, he’s actually taking his time to manually aim his weapon, and maybe he wanted to stay with his mask. After that, he was distracted by Naru and impaled through the shoulder. Once he has the opportunity to cloak up and move, he does and defeats Taabe.

Movies aren’t real. They are designed to entertain. If you want to pretend Feral acted deaf and blind, that’s on you, but you shouldn’t act like Jungle Hunter didn’t do the same. Having a consistent power level throughout any movie can be difficult, and the predator had to show some vulnerabilities. I would put this right there with the first two movies. I still like the original more, but this is done well and adds to the story, just like Predator 2.

3 Likes

This movie is million, maybe billion times better than The Predator 2018.

This is a movie were the first act is by far the best. The tension is real and the threat seems menacing. You can see how Naru gradually improves and goes through diversity to grow. No Rey Skywalker to be seen. And because at that time woman was mainly gatherers it makes sense the men laugh and think nothing of her as a hunter.

Second act is good but not as good. Lot of the tension is dropped and replaced by gore and action. This isn’t all a negative. The kills were creative and brutal. Why the director chose to cut so much during the action instead of holding the camera for the viewers to see is beyond me but that is one of my few gripes here. The biggest gripe with the second act is the CGI. The blood and gore in a lot of the scenes are good enough but not great. I wished they went with a more old school approach and went with real fake blood instead of CGI. Predators look without the mask is kinda derpy but im nitpicking here. Were the second and succeed is how it shows the predator getting injured and weaked little by little. This will have a good payoff towards the third act. The callbacks werent shoe horned either and i actuallt did like the ‘’ if it bleeds we can kill it reference’’ didnt feel cheap.

Now for the third act. Now this is the weakest point of the film. Dont get me wrong tho, just cuz its the weakest part doesnt mean i disliked it. What the third act does best is taking all the things Naru has seen and learned and puts it all together for a final showdown. She has seen that it uses heat detection and therefor uses the flower that we learned in the first act cools your blood in a way to stop the bleeding. This is a smart way that feels realistic because its been used and shown since start of the movie. These are examples of great storytelling and execution. Now for some things i didnt like as much. The feral started to seem dumber and dumber by the end of it. Just like the movie showed us that the yellow flower cools your blood which later in the third act is helpful to Naru to hide, The Feral is shooting without his mask showing us as viewers and the predator that the projectile goes where the laser is targeting. But instead of this being a lesson learned for the predator just like the flower was for Naru. Instead the Predator makes the same mistake again which ultimatly kills it. This is stupid on many levels. And the fact that she knew he would use that of all weopons just at that moment is also very dumb. You could blame the predators stupidity in the third act on arrogance due to the prey being a girl. Which Naru even mentions just before ‘‘he doesnt see me as a threat. That’s what makes me dangerous’’ You could also blame it on him being shot in the damn head… take your pick.

In conclusion the movie was very enjoyable. So much so that i will most likely watch it again later tonight. This is all just my opinion and make sure to right me where im wrong or chim in with your thoughts and on things that i missed and or didnt mention.
This is the movie i enjoyed the most since the first movie. Mostly because its a character tight nit piece which is something i love. Its scope felt very small instead of trying to make it a transformer blockbuster. Their biggest hurdle was making it not look like a mary sue and or woke movie. That hurdle was also my biggest fear. Im very glad to say they made it. Thank you and god bless

5 Likes

That’s a good point. It’s hard to tell where exactly the shot hit, but it had to have resulted in some negative effect.

Good, honest, and thorough review. The ending is definitely the weakest part of the movie, but that’s always the hardest part of a horror/slasher type of movie. How can you believably kill the antagonist that has been set up as such a powerful threat?

I might watch Prey, Predator, Predator 2, and Predators in sequence this weekend.

2 Likes

The mud in trailer is nice misdirection. I thought she was using it to avoid heat detection, but instead it was used as s trap to immobilize Feral and limit his offensive options. Perhaps that’s why he felt like he needed to use the arrows to get the job done quickly as Naru finally was a threat.

Perhaps it all culminate too quickly, but it does seem like this was her plan from the start.

It is a bit overblown that the mask would be in the exact location so the lasers would point at ferals head. I’d rather Naru have it by her and raise it is just as the arrows are shot. Not ideal either, by the way.

Also, i wonder if Feral would see the lasers. It looked like he did, but JH having that ‘red’ vision possibly could not.

2 Likes

Yes that part was a bit over the top. Why did he even fire without the mask if the go where the masks lasers point. pretty stupid.

2 Likes

Definitely a stretch. It’s okay, but it would have been better if she had hidden it and just when the predator fired the arrow she pointed it right at his face while he’s stuck.

2 Likes

We still angy about girls playing Predator or no?

2 Likes

It was since upon firing the mask seems to activate automatically and target at lasers. It’s definitely a brain fart. I can give it a pass as it was the only quick kill option the feral had and he went for it without much though given that Naru was an immediate threat.

1 Like

She did well with what she leaned. Brain over brawn. Not unlike Dutch.

I wouldn’t say the gender norms make sense in the tribe. They have limited number if people are everyone has a role. Although she is teased about the cooking, i still think it’s a respected role, as well as that of knowing medicines. It’s more of Naru wanting the faje and respect that comes from the danger of hunting as opposed to the passive role she has to play in the tribe. I would not say it woke. You can see it when her brother earns that and she’s so jelly.

I think the gender norms is just a backdrop for Mary not being a hunter from the get go and it works well because her mind is open to leaning new things more as opposed to falling into patters which may happen with other hunters onther tribe. You are the more predictable nature if trappers and feral himself in this way. She does it a different way in part by using her brain more. That can’t be combared to Ripleys or Sarahs cases because they are thrust into their predicaments while Naru is aspiring to be a hunter even before Feral or trappers and the scenes are set up in such a way as for her to learn and use what she learned.

2 Likes

BREAKING NEWS : prey isn’t 10/10 , or even close to predator 2

Time for Tony Pope to become Tony the Eagle Eye.

My review is up , its not for the faint hearted if they actually thought this was close to the first , second and maybe even the third

Guess you can’t read all the points about bad CGI and how the pred acted like an idiot? Most of the problems people have with the movie aren’t even related to Naru.

Nah just stick to people hating it because woman. Never expected a commie to actually learn anything anyway lol

2 Likes

I liked it. 8/10

6 Likes

I honestly don’t get the whole “wokeness” talk… like for fucks sake Naru is no different than Tarzan in the Disney animated movie, no different than every other “outcast” that all the tribe frowns upon, no different than immigrants specially in the US. It has absolutely nothing to do with having a peenis or a vagiiina. It’s about being the underdog. Had Naru be a 12 year old boy, it wouldn’t have change a thing in the movie topic, but none of you would feel “ohh they are forcing the women empowerment down my throat”.

Jesus Fucking Christ…

9 Likes

It was OK. Predator was cool but also a moron, and his face looked ridiculous. Oodles of plot armor for our heroine. Don’t much care for the flintlock retcon. Guy losing foot in a trap is better than bad ass pirate duel? Hahaha. No.

Overall I would give 5/10. Better only than 2018.

1 Like

Better than 2018? High praise kek

2 Likes