Was The Predator necessary?

Check out why the star of the film believes the movie bombed in this interview.

I for one disagree. No one film is necessary and it was the script that killed the movie. Timing is something to take into consideration but as a movie goer and fan of the franchise I can’t get enough.

Thoughts?

2 Likes

Not sure why the usual formula had to be changed, but since some things are meant to be a science, so is sci-fi. They tried to make The Predator a different movie than the usual horror fare, and they did not succeed. Its like trying to take the Halloween franchise and make it a soap opera action movie.

I think Boyd Holbrook is pretty much Justin Beiber with a mustache and acting chops. Need i say more?
He is an action star, but probably not a horror action star…it was his vehicle not the beast’s.

Was it necessary? I don’t think so.

It wasn’t a bad film…just not one I expected.

1 Like

The movie could have unironically been decent.

As much as people say “This isn’t canon”, it is. Hunting Grounds is literally almost right after The Predator in terms of the timeline with Stargazer and everything.

If anything, Hunting Grounds takes the failure that was The Predator, naming it the “Stargazer Incident”, and makes it work in the lore as best as it possibly can. And even does some good with it to boot by hyping up O.W.L.F vs Stargazer

4 Likes

The thing is all the science stuff was just speculation. Global warming, might be something the Pred’s like simply because it expands preferred hunting grounds. It doesn’t mean war.
No Pred said they harvest DNA to make them stronger that was a theory.

The Assassin wanted the kid because he was a threat, they don’t let their tech go. That kid can access it at will. He’s a child and so he was taking him away rather than killing him. Let others decide the kids fate.

The fugitive had human DNA, which is harder to explain, well actually easy but it means someone fucked an alien.

That or one clan is interested in diversifying the gene pool, doing genetic tampering, doesn’t mean they all are. It’s funny the Yautja might have their own mad scientists.

———

If anything the movie showed only a small piece of anything related to why. If I was to speculate, everything STGZ believes is wrong. What happened in The Predator wasn’t some big threat to the earth or the delivery of some package. (The only scene you’d have to retcon is the last one).
The movie actually showed a part of Yautja culture we’re unfamiliar with, the ones who deal with strange variations of their species.
The hybrid, is simple one of his parents survived a hunt and demanded to go with them, this would have been a couple of centuries ago, his parent long dead of old age.
The Assassin is huge but may be unique or a very rare breed. His under armour might be tech, cyber ware of some kind. His planet of origin might require them to be so large, the Yautja might have more variety because they inhabit more diverse places. Gravity and the quality of resource might encourage such large size.

3 Likes

Well the yautja are genetically altered hish qu tan ( or however it’s spelled) so it isn’t that far fetched to think they want to further augment their DNA in the name of the hunt.

Predator movies will always be necessary, simply bacause of the fanbase. What killed this film was tom much cocaine on screenwriters end…

5 Likes

Yeah, using the lore we have about the Hish, it’s not surprising to me… I just think the science and plot assumptions were way off base from what we know.

1 Like

Oh for sure. Stargazer is a newer organization compared to OWLF ( I would assume ) and while it seems they have more money, they are the new kid on the block.

1 Like

Didn’t Shane Black confirm that his movie was to show why yautja came to earth? Black purposefully made a point of hinting at why they did? He thought he was too clever for the lore and tried to rewrite it basically. As for the upgrade, which ties into the whole genetically modifying lore he tried to shoe horn in, literally means raising something to a higher standard through adding or replacing components? It shows you him being operated on (upgraded) It wasn’t movie theory it was the direct result from the script written, it’s 100% reasonable to assume that the kid was going to get his dna taken and the whole global warming was nothing but virtue signalling hollyweird

Any future movies or series can ascribe the directors crazy to the characters. It doesn’t have to be the cannon, it can be subtly retconned.

The yautja are genetically modified. Their original species was hish qu tan. The amengi altered their DNA to make them better gladiators. I would assume they want to remain the dominate species in the galaxy at all costs.

Ah I see. I haven’t delved deep into the lore. I’ve played all games from pc to ps2 and on, I collected the neca line for a while and had a copy of judge dredd vs alien vs predator. I used to listen to the audio books aswell when I went to bed. Haven’t done much more outside of that sadly, having 3 kids and a fourth on the way means alot less down time 😁

I belive what film producers needs to learn is that they will never remake the original Predator, they will never capture what made the first one unique and great, all the problems that for some divine miracle ended up becoming a gem(just take a look at it, Predator was a literal miracle). Accept that and do something unique with the IP.

I really enjoyed P2 and most people too, most agree that it wasn’t as good as the original, but still good, same for Predators, tho I would say it played too safe by trying to emulate the original, BUT it had enough new and interesting ideas to make itself unique, all of this while expanding the lore in interesting way(tribes, species, etc).

For The Predator, I would say it could had worked if it didn’t tried to emulate the “are we cool kids” with pointless cliffhangers and unecessary call backs. Plus, making the entire lore of the Predators being a cliche “invaders” and “conqueres”.

I belive the movie could had been alot better if focused more on the Fugitive and Assassin, and show us that while Predators society revolves around being tribal hunters, they also are highly advanced species that are packing heavy heat in case of serious fights.
Both Fugitive and Assassin would be this link, with Fugitive being the first scientist while Assassin being their first special unit military, both showing us this more advanced side of the Predators, but not exposing too much so it could ruin their “mystery aura”.

Actually, they didn’t used genetic modifications, but heavy eugenics and quimical improvements. It’s like breeding dogs until you get a build you want, and pump him up with roids for peak body performance.

3 Likes

Oh, cool.

“Didn’t shame black confirm the movie was to show why Yautja came to earth.”

See, we put a lot of stock in what the creator says was intended, instead of looking at the body of work and letting that stand on it’s own.

I heavily believe in death of the author, IE a work will always be interpreted by the end consumer, despite how it might have been intended to come across by it’s creator. A writer’s work may intended to convey they love a specific place, but they could spend passages bashing the place, and someone’s takeaway could be “Wow, this writer HATED this place” despite the writer saying “no no, I loved it!”

Ultimately, a work must stand on it’s own, despite a creator’s intentions.

1 Like

Obviously not everyones interpretation will be the same but with any info on a piece of work that indicates what was intended, it can’t be over looked? Putting something out for people to come to their own conclusion is different to saying exactly what is meant. Aren’t they different? It takes the heat off a bad attempt at art. It comes back to one man’s trash is another man’s treasure

Future writers can reinterpret intent, or ignore it all together.

There’s hope that the last movie can be reinterpreted, almost everything that was said is just characters saying what they believed, some with only a few short convos to build off of.

The Predator is a turd. A stain to be scrubbed away. You don’t have a good franchise (admittedly Predators was just ok, but still very watchable) and shoehorn global warming bs, kids AT ALL, let alone special needs kids, the suburbs, vets suffering from ptsd and tourette syndrome and a magically ultra-trained scientist that can take down a super-hybrid killing machine and alien putbulls that turn good when shot in the head!!! Shane black is a bad person who fist-f***ed fans hard. I want my $ back for that one probably more than Batman & Robin and Suicide Squad. At least I KNEW those two had no chance of being good. So I never got my hopes up.

3 Likes

whine WAHHH politics!

That’s literally all you posted.