Back on the road (kinda)

Rope Jumping is better than bungee. Where there is no elasticity with Rope Jumping, the elasticity you get is from the main rope that goes from the object towards the ground that the Jump Rope is attached to, meaning you use the absolute full height of the jump and you can go as close to the ground as humanly possible while bungee still has to have a height error margin due to rope elasticity…

Here’s a video from one of my trips back in the day when I was able bodied. Rope Jumping road trip from Lithuania to Ukraine, Crimea.

1 Like

Also, bit off topic, but kinda on topic, if you’re interested, here’s how I busted myself…

This is what I was trying to do (but lacked experience and skill though, too full of myself skill wise back then and bit myself in the ass hard life wise), it’s a sub discipline in skydiving called swooping or canopy piloting…

1 Like

But nothing can beat the feeling of BASE jumping, maybe sex only lol

1 Like

Looks amazing. Ill add rope jumping to my list 😃

1 Like

The video I posted above with the BASE jumping, you can see at the start one of the guys is just a random non trained person doing a Rope Jump with the BASE jumpers :D

Very unfortunate :( I kinda give this type of stuff a lot of thought. I like doing risky things but obviously there is an elememt of danger. If something does not go EXACTLY as planned, death or disability is a very real possibility.

You water checking something on your left forearm a lot. Was it an indicator of how fast you were coming in for the landing? What exactly went wrong for you?

First time I came to know about base jumping was from a short story ‘Ghost Birds’. Basically there the concept was explained and characters were performing the act. The jumps were from pretty low height, which is probably most dangerous because every second matters. You open the shoot too early and you’re screwed, you open it too late and you’re screwed. I think there it said that in USA it is an illegal activity, except for one day in the year; something like a base jump day, where it is allowed to jump from a certain location.

It’s balancing act of risk vs reward. You gotta calculate if what you’re trying to do is worth the risk. You can still for example skydive to old age if you don’t risk it too much with crazy other stuff like I did… And fun jumps for first timers with instructors are as safe as flying in airliner (very low risk of death or injury).

The thing on my arm is digital altimeter, I was constantly checking my altitude, to know when to initiate my dive turn (to gain speed for the horizontal ground swoop), but I miss judged my altitude and did the turn too low and only realized my mistake at the very last milisecond when it was too late to correct / safe myself…

Overall is it illegal (to do it anywhere, anytime) yes, but there are plenty events (and places where local authorities tolerate that) that are legal and held often both in USA and over the world for BASE jumpers.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll probably go with an instructor the first time. I want to have that hand time I’m tje air, but not worry about sticking the landing. Obviously there is training for all of this so I’ll see how far u want to go based on the difficulty and my first experience.

Are you still able to go out for any type of jumps, rope/sky/bungie or does disability prevent it? Perhaps there is also a type of fear as well. Yeah, you are disabled, but you could have also died. In any case, you are lucky to be alive cause sometimes when you lose control, all that is left is luck.

1 Like

Your best option is a tandem skydive where instructor straps you to himself and does everything for you, you just enjoy the ride.

1 Like

Dying would’ve been easier (just everything black, gone, no pain, no suffering and you don’t even realize what’s happened), life in a wheelchair isn’t for me :)

Yup, I’ve seen this. At first i though that it feel like a sissy to do this, but now I’m having second thoughts.

I did 2 tandem jumps with my old instructor post accident. I also went to try to retrain myself in wind tunnel so I could jump on my own again, but I didn’t have enough money to retrain safely, I need hours of retraining and 1h in a wind tunnel is around 600 euros, I need at least 20-30 hours…

There are disabled skydivers out there, Jarrett is one of the famous ones :)

1 Like

I can understand that type of thinking. Limitations suck and then there’s a mental block too. Still i always think that everything that is alive fights to stay alive as long as it can so i think instinct always tells us to try to save ourselves. There are exception of course. Mental illness and certain life circumstances make people feel like life is too hard to bear.

It feels like tech should be there to aid with paralysis. Either by ‘fixing’ the spinal chord by by some time of exoskeleton. I think the research is there perhaps, but the stuff is expensive, which is too bad.

Yeh physical limitations suck, some are not as bad as others. I can deal with not being able to walk for the rest of my life, but not being able to feel my skin, touch, sensations, no working dick, bladder, bowels (everything gets paralysed, not just your legs) and the worst out of it all is the chronic pain, my variant is the extreme one which is on 24/7, can’t turn it off, feels like half of your body is on fire, zapped by electricity and crushed by a hydraulic press all at the same time and it doesn’t stop for a single second while you’re conscious…

There are advances, but they’re not there yet and exoskeleton is very impractical at the moment, too bulky, heavy + other health problems / complications for various disabilities while trying to use it, it’s not for everyone…

Sadly, unless the world bands up and focuses on this purely like it did with corona, there’s no paralysis cure coming for a long time, the nervous system and spinal cord are one of the most complicated hardest to understand and fix things in our bodies.

That’s terrible. I didn’t realize there was pain involved.

I think i read in the past that there is a type of nerve pain that pain meds can’t help with.

The pain just comes and goes for no reason or are there things you can do to avoid the ‘flare ups’?