Balancing PS4 vs PC

My impression is, that PS4 players have a handicap - controlling via a controller from my experience is slower and/or more imprecise (for a long time, I played just on PCs and since a while just on PS4 and at least I am far better with the mouse).

Doom 2016 for example has solved this by implementing an aim support - you do not have to EXACTLY hit the head to hit the head - if you understand what I mean :)

The algorithm can use auto aim if you are just some pixels away from your target - for example. As if the target comes with a confined ā€œgravity bubbleā€ for aimingā€¦ Or alike.

One also can support this issue by providing an adjustable nonlinear curve for the controller-sticks - as ā€œon the one handā€ you must be able to move fast and ā€œon the other handā€ you have to aim precise (which is somehow the opposite of fast with sticks) - whereby the ā€œhandsā€ are not meant literallyā€¦

What do you think? Similar problems with the controller? The feeling, that PC players are better in the average?

4 Likes

Letā€™s get both running at a solid 60 fps without a single frame dropped and call it a day.

1 Like

Yep youā€™re spot on OP. The root of all the balancing issues is that ps4 canā€™t reliably hit a moving pred, whereas pc with a mouse can track and shoot pred with hitscan weapons. As much as people talk about pub FTs being shit, the skill ceiling for FT vs pred is very low provided you can track a moving target.

The motion blur on ps4 + 30 fps definitely doesnt help them. They have no turn acceleration so hitting console players in the back is super effective.
And stealth sucks low settings or not so either way the meta is leap leap bunnyhop leap

3 Likes

Exactly! I did not know about the 30FPS vs 60FPS but: true, my friend always spots the predator when I am still blind (but there are probably other factors here too - alike I am playing using a TV a meter away:)

May I propose an easy (in terms of development) interim/alternative solution to allow a near-term improval concerning aiming?: two different, adjustable stick-speeds - one for normal (fast) movement and the other for (slow and precise) movement while aiming? Or a standard, immutable nonlinear curve just for aiming - beginning fast and getting slower for example?

In some way you already can simulate a roughly similar behaviour, if you e.g. use the 4x telescope. Aim fast an roughly without using the telescope (so to say without aiming:) and then use the telescope for fine adjustment.

This at least is the way I try to handle the topic yetā€¦ But I am far from good with that yet :)

Does anybody has a better trick/hint for us poor PS4 cripples yet?

2 Likes

its not an impressions its the truthā€¦ . its why the metrics are off. Pre patch preds were barely able to win vs a premade FT. The avg pred wouldnā€™t even stand a chance vs a premade PC ft prepatch. Now vs premades I win half instead of 75 percent of them. It all depends if I can land shots. If they turn down the graphics on train for get it. You cannot trade shot for shot with the bow and its the only viable weapon the pred hasā€¦ you can say git good but its the truth, if you pull out a win its cause the FT screwed up, its not because you outplayed them. How the hell is a ps4 crossplay pred going to handle thisā€¦ leave the match.

Illfonic fix the pred jump hangtimeā€¦ is pretty unrealistic.

1 Like

I play on PC with an Xbox controller. I find it more enjoyable but less precise. Thus I care more about having fun than winning.

Good attitude - basically same for me. But on the other hand you do not want to be a handicap for your team. So, would it be a single player match, I would be a little more relaxedā€¦

@Finessology: by accident we today tried out something interesting:

my PC friend already was dead - so that he was watching ā€œwith my eyesā€. I was the last one standing and the predator was trying to hit me.

I frantically hurry-scurried to avoid his slashes and always called: ā€œI do not see him, I do not see himā€. Whereas my PC-friend alway called: ā€œhe is right before you, to the left, to the rightā€ and so on.

We tried that out in a private match later and I saw the predator just in the open - in the bushes: no chance, not even a glimpse.

Now the question to you out there - does anyone know, what one watching the play of another player sees? Does he see the very same (lets call it a video stream from the other device) or does he see the scene rendered with his own machine (so potentially a complete other image)??

Would be nice to know whether I am dumb or this indeed is the difference between PC and PS4. If the former is the case, please keep it privateā€¦

Believe he still sees his instance of the predator, not sure if its different in private but easy way to test would probably be to kill a pred and ragdoll the body. Have people shoot it see whos screen it moves on when spectating, probably valid. Or one of you just start lagging your ass off.
Private is likely dependent on whos hosting imo.

If you like, have a look at this - some new information in there:

Sorry, I first accidentally put it into the wrong threadā€¦

1 Like

No balance will occur that means anything unless the game is reworked. Thatā€™s the facts. The Predator moves too clumsy, and slow to ever be a real threat in a meaningful, fluid, and fun way that is engaging and terrifying for the fireteam. More or less dmg is such a stupid thing to quibble over. Everything should be less frantic, and stupid feeling. More deliberate, swift, and deadly for both sides. I daydream of what this game could have been if it had been given a real development cycle.

1 Like

I mean auto aim will help, butā€¦ there needs to be SO much more unfucked for predator. I lost a match in backwater recently. A pc sniper was spotting me from the satellite tower. I leap slammed. Landed next to him. Hit him even. Iā€™m stuck so long and he has milliseconds to shoot me. And I fall off the building as heā€™s shooting me. It was so buggy. It was hard enough to aim, because you all know what happens to you if you hit the dish.

This would help too, but not enough.

The ā€œreal development cycleā€ nowadays unfortunately often is replaced by ā€œearly accessā€ - which would be fine, if everybody knows beforehand, that the quality is still ā€˜alphaā€™ - I definitely was a bit unprepared, as the game is out since some timeā€¦

But let us be fair - Illfonic is a relatively small company and Predator Hunting Grounds is a huuuuuge development project. If they had waited with the release of the game until it is finished in all aspects, they probably would have been bankrupt before the releaseā€¦

So let us be thankful that they are quite actively working on it and have some patience. Who knows, maybe we will love the predator control one day :)

Until then I focus on the fireteam - which is basically fine yet. Fire On!

I want to reiterate. I didnā€™t even move. I didnā€™t fall off myself. I went from a registered leap slam land to falling.
Movement feels TERRIBLE as the predator anytime it fucks up, and there are so many atrocious ways in which this manifests. All while being shot by 1-4 people.

I know what you mean. Maybe one can move the predator in a fluid manner, if he knows how to circumvent all ā€˜bugsā€™ (and some people seem to accomplish this). But I personally was to unnerved by playing the predator - after three daysā€¦

What do you think about controlling the fireteam - fine for you too?

Ah, maybe I have a hint for you - my impression was, that if you do not use the trees and the long jump, the predator is basically fine too - maybe you can try that out.

thatā€™s why their is an off option for crossplay.

How does that improve the control of the predator for PS4 players?

The fireteam is insane. They feel like super humans and honestly are ridiculous. . . But Iā€™m bad at fireteam because Iā€™m bad at forced first person perspective. I canā€™t parryā€¦lucky if I just run to a pred and spam r1 I donā€™t have to bother with QuickTime R3 or circleā€¦ Iā€™m justā€¦ I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong with me. I can beat all of soulsborne, but shooters disorient me. Iā€™m competent but Iā€™ll never be as good at fireteam as I am at predator because I hate forced first person.

Never mind - everybody has his style, some like this, others like that and definitely nobody can everything :)