Prey review

New Lore just dropped. This is from the dude who designed the Feral Predator. Yautja vision is only so Red & Blurry on our Planet, it could look different on other worlds. Probably adapted best to Yautja Prime.

3 Likes

That makes so much fucking sense

I always assumed the preds vision in one was motion based since the more Arny moved the clearer he was.

But the idea that the preds have natural heat vision and the mask clears it of extra feedback makes so much more sense.

The only issue this could have is the fact that their planet was supposed to be extremely hot, therefore making their vision just as bad as on earth. However they do have small eyes so I wouldn’t be surprised if their vision was more secondary to other senses.

1 Like

He seems to suggest it has something to do with the atmosphere itself. Could be the wind & all the gases & particles it carries that makes the vision like we see it in the 1st movie.

1 Like

It was the dog that help her win

1 Like

Let’s look at some facts 👇🏻

Prey has a higher meta score because of way more critic reviews , but predator 2 has less user reviews but is still a better rating?

So this 👇🏻

Doesn’t hold very much does it , clearly there is a substantial amount of people who have “evidence” that shows otherwise. The whole push of “being historically accurate” is bullshit aswell and gaslighting

The lesson here is that Predator 2 is the peak of the franchise and would have a perfect 100/100 score if everybody went and upvoted it. Now.

4 Likes

On my way to do so 😄

1 Like

Chad move.

1 Like

how anybody thinks Prey is bad but likes Pred 2 is beyond me

2 Likes

I know, they’re both clearly good

2 Likes

Ratings either matter or they don’t, which is it?

What?

They don’t matter

I never said they did.

Thats a relief, after looking for less than 2 minutes you can find a 5+ year old imdb account with only one review . Prey 10/10 , pretty telling , especially after disney were caught inflating some star wars ratings a few years back

1 Like

That’s why I refer to the potatoes as the equivalent of Dutch’s team or the drug lords from Predator 2 etc. Neither of them have a clue what the Predator is and are completely unaware as to what the hell they are.

People like Samhains team are the equivalent of a trained, experienced task force lead by Dutch to hunt down and kill Predators as featured in the prequel novel to this game - Predator Stalking Shadows. The only Predators to have given Dutch’s team of Predator killers any significant difficulty was a very young ‘Shark skinned’ Yautja with smoother grey skin of whom was incredibly fast and agile, and wouldnt have been significantly bigger than Dutch himself in height as was stated in the book. This Predator was still killed but took half the team with him and it took a lot a lot of coordinated efforts from the team, with a lot of gunfire and a broken tree branch. This Predator used ranged weaponry specifically the Smart Disc and Plasma Caster as I remember and killed at least 2 or 3 men with the Disc alone. It wasn’t stupid, and had to hunt a certain way to avoid easy death. The only Predator who bested, in fact slaughtered this team was Cleopatra, and she used the Smart Disc, Combistick, Plasma Caster and Net Gun. She was described as smarter, deadlier and more efficient, and she didn’t fuck around like the males did, instantly pinning her as more ruthless than the Jungle Hunter. She still used ranged weaponry to defeat this team though, as Dutch described the event as I believe, the team making their way to a village in the jungle in the middle of Laos and were ambushed by Cleopatra. From what we can interpret, she easily subdued Dutch within seconds in melee combat despite Dutch wielding the City Hunter Combistick he had acquired, and then pinned him to a wall with her Net Gun, and made him watch her slaughter his entire team, dispatching them with perfect aim of the Plasma Caster. Bearing in mind Dutch described this as “It was Val Verde, All. Over. Again”, but this time, it was an Elite Hunter butchering a team of soldiers who were quite literally trained to hunt down and kill Predators. Not a bunch of mercs on a mission without a clue what was hunting them like in Val Verde 1987. She even decided to let Dutch live. The reason why, is still unknown, but it can be anything from she knew who he was, she wanted to save him to be hunted another day, or maybe, she may have even believed that fucking Dutch Schaefer was unworthy of killing by her hand. Cleopatra wipes the floor with Jungle Hunter, City Hunter, Mr Black, Falconer, Tracker, Crucified, Scar, Celtic, Chopper, Fugitive, Feral all low-mid diff. Wolf is the only one who’d stand a chance against her. Upgrade Predator the Autism snatching abomination isn’t included because he’s irrelevant.

The only soldiers on Fireteam Voodoo who know what a Predator is are Dutch 2025, Isabelle, Dante, Zeus and the O.W.L.F. Operatives. All the other generic Assaults, Scouts, Recons, Supports are just soldiers on a mission, like Jim Hopper, like Dutch and team, like Quinn McKenna and team.

The only people in the movies who had any idea what the Predators were and how they worked were Isabelle (she heard the story about the incident of Val Verde 1987), Royce (was smart enough to figure out exactly how the Predators hunted and what he and the others were up against), the O.W.L.F. and Project Stargazer. To be fair to Stargazer they actually Captured Fugitive Predator so they can’t have been that useless at counter-Predator operations. The O.W.L.F. fucked up majorly against the City Hunter but with their association with Dutch and the fact that Isabelle and Dante are a part of their organisation in the modern era, they would be a formidable opponent for any Predator. Any Predator that knew they were up against a team of prey that are trained to hunt the Predators themselves, would gear the hell up appropriately like Wolf did, and fight them appropriately tactically wise like the Jungle Hunter using ranged combat.

There is a reason soldiers use guns in war, and boxers etc use their fists, and martial artists use melee weapons e.g. nunchuks etc. Soldiers have their lives at stake, boxers etc step into the ring with a lot of risk, but typically aren’t intending to kill their opponent. Sure people like Andrew Tate and Mike Tyson have hospitalised guys and put them in wheelchairs for life, but soldiers are out there getting killed for their country.

There’s a reason the likes of the City Hunter used CQC against drug lords etc because they are easy game. It’s like a genuine sport for him until if you actually look very closely, he uses ranged weaponry on priority targets specifically Peter Keyes, because if you notice, he tries to kill him with the Plasma Caster twice, and then when he comes back again proving himself a threat with the nitrogen gun, of which would be very sensitive to Predators as they live in a VERY hot environment, the City Hunter then uses the Smart Disc to finally take care of him. He even uses the Net Gun on Harrigen at the end because he respects him as the most worthy and deadly Prey, and he needs to be cautious of him. Wolf gears up with all his weaponry because he doesn’t fuck around and he wasn’t heading to Earth to hunt, he was heading to Earth to clean up a mess and kill a Predalien abomination, along with a potential Xenomorph infestation.

The Jungle Hunter knows to be careful against Dutch’s team because he has hunted in the jungles of Val Verde many times as is stated by Anna, and Dillon himself states that there are lots of military operations and rebel patrols going through there all the time. Its a no-brainer that the Jungle Hunter would know the true game from the cannon fodder, particularly as he watched Dutch’s team cut through the Guerrillas like a knife through butter. It explains why he kills Hawkins up close as he only has an SMG and is distracted with Anna, but he kills Blain with the Plasma Caster as he has a Minigun. He also identifies Dutch as the Leader of the group and likely deliberately shot Dutch’s weapon and not him directly as he theoretically wanted to save the Leader for last. We all need to bear in mind the whole Yautja honor code came around after the Jungle Hunter was a thing so realistically we shouldn’t even look at his sense of honor as he doesn’t really have one. Either that or other Predators just have a preferred hunting style, hence why we have the Super Predators who are basically portrayed as what you may call "pssies because they use Plasma more but really, they don’t have any significant differences in hunting style than the Jungle Hunter. Tracker used hounds but there wasn’t much different. Tracker blew away Noland the same way JH did Mac, Falconer engaged in melee combat 1v1 same as JH (at least we have assumed the JH didn’t just Plasma him), Mr Black fought the Leader of the group same as JH, they both used Plasma in their finales, they both in fact directly used Plasma to get the upper hand before they then started to kick the shit out of Royce and Dutch respectively. Only differences were Mr Black had his mask smacked off, while Jungle Hunter took his off, Mr Black got distracted by cockiness and a 50 caliber sniper shot through the back and chest, of which would in real life, blow up a human head, genuinely blow up, Jungle Hunter got cocky and was immobilised by Dutch’s lucky surprise trap, Mr Black was sniped in the back and then hacked to death by Royce.

In reality the Jungle Hunter is more similar to the Super Predators than he is City Hunter and Scar, which makes sense as the Director and everyone working on Predators 2010 made it very clear to only take inspiration from the first movie.

@Samhain13 does have a point when he says the Jungle Hunter is sadistic/psychopathic when pointing out he didn’t necessarily fight Dutch with his bare hands due to honor, but because he wanted to torture him, as the honor code wasn’t a thing at the time. The fact that the Jungle Hunter also knowingly laughs maniacally when setting off his self destruct device supports this idea of him being psychopathic or at the very least sadistic in his ways because he of course believed he was about to blow Dutch away and Dutch had no idea what it was until he started to laugh. Bearing in mind a load of additional lore came after the 1987 movie, so there is no real way to disprove this is what was intended of the Jungle Hunter’s character in the first place.

There is also a reason Feral fights so recklessly up close in Prey, the Comanches and even the Frenchmen had very primitive weaponry. Feral knew there was no way in hell the muskets were gonna do shit do his mask or shield so he just employed them appropriately, albeit recklessly and hilariously in the way he let’s the one man shoot him in the face only for it to rebound off his mask and hit him in the face. It’s the same reason he wears hardly any armour and fights up close - for the challenge. He may have even been sadistic like the Jungle Hunter in his brutal fashion of taking his time and killing up close. He even basically laughs and admires his kills like they’re a piece of art

Feral also could have just shot the Bear with his Speargun or used his Net but he decided to fight it close up for the challenge. He also cloaks and backs off the fight with Taabe because he knows he needs to regroup against a more dangerous opponent, and Taabe directly realises and states this himself. Feral doesn’t care how he wins the fight he will just do what he feels like in the Hunt. Same as the Jungle Hunter in a lot of ways, but also similar to the City Hunter in a lot of ways in his execution in that he prefers CQC.

We can all agree it’s a bit stupid that a young comanche girl could kill a Predator but let’s be honest, she was never going to kill Feral without a lot of plot armour, inconsistencies, pure luck, and with Ferals own weapons being near enough the only things strong enough to kill him outright anyway.
The only real thing I have a significant problem with in Prey is the way Feral dies, but if I had to look at all the possible ways and factors making Narus triumph over him relatively more believable excluding the obvious plot armour, what I can conclude is the following:

Naru only got the initial drop on Feral due to a bogus plant that reduces her body temperature, and using a fat French dude as bait before then shooting Feral in the back of the head at point blank range, knocking off his biomask and also dealing severe brain damage to him, considering you know, there’s a musket ball lodged in the back of his skull/brain area.
Due to the brain damage, it would have considerably reduced efficiency of Ferals reflexes, strength, and ability to think straight and react. This would make the fact she jumped on his back and somehow stayed up there for any time at all more palatable, and the fact that he didn’t catch that little dog and back-hand it when it jumped on his back. This would also shed at least some light on why he didn’t duck when his own speargun arrow was heading for his face.
And now of course there is the bullshittery they had to add to ensure Naru lived -
Ferals strength inconsistency - he lifted a bear high above his head with little-to-no difficulty at all, but couldn’t throw a teenage comanche girl off his back instantaneously as he should have, and the power of him using his shield to block the spear Naru jabbed with, should have broken or at least sprained Narus wrist, her overpowering him and getting him to cut his own arm off with his shield is completely ludicrous.
Feral’s thinking and reaction times - he would’ve instantly thrown Naru off his back, he would have back handed the dog when it tried to jump on his back, when the dog ran with Narus tomahawk he would’ve kicked the dog away and/or stomped on Naru as she tried to slide under him. He probably would’ve even dodged his own speargun tip.

1 Like

Is this the longest post that has ever been made on this forum?

1 Like

No not quite

Jesus , I just had a night cap aswell , I will need to read that in the morning 😄

1 Like

it didn’t even look like a good headshot, he was hunched over with his head down examining the guys head, he’s 4 feet taller than her, the shot appeared to graze the top-back of his head, going through his dread things, it didn’t look like a clean headshot going through brain matter
it appeared to take a chunk out of his scalp, but “brain damage” seems like a stretch. he doesn’t even move awkwardly or struggle to stand or seem to have any brain damage afterwards.
i don’t see how it would have considerably reduced anything, is this known that a bullet in the brain just makes you have reduced reflexes and strength? a bullet through the brain is lights out, his brain is fine, its doesn’t seem like good reasoning for a weak human who just practices hunting rabbits, and not even half his size to be able to kill a predator that lives fighting and killing things. might as well just made this a cartoon.

if the brain damage logic works for you that’s great, i wish it did for me, but i just don’t like how they did it. i was excited for this movie, it looks great and everything, but the ending just sucks so hard for me i can’t enjoy it at all.

1 Like

Bullet in the brain isn’t even always lights out for people have you not heard of situations of people having bullets lodged in their skulls? A predator takes much more punishment then we do. City hunter took multiple shotgun shots to the abdomen and breakers got launched by multiple grenades and there’s cases of predators getting shot or stabbed in the face and losing an eye but surviving

1 Like