What Lazy would do as a community moderator.

1 Like

Thanks Courier or OKH. Much appreciated. That was very quick.

Have a good one guys.

1 Like

Yeah he got a temp ban till OCT 1st.

1 Like

Yes thanks courier. It is good to see action being taken. Hopefully now that guy gets some help and realises what he was saying is not okay.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently spending my time working to improve the community guidelines.
Free speech is something that I feel is very important, but it can be difficult to see where the line is.
This is why none of the comments or threads that are hateful or against us (IllFonic) are taken down unless it really crosses the line. I was definitely too lenient at the beginning and it has caused some users to think itā€™s okay to cross the line even after multiple warnings. Weā€™re reining it in slowly to ensure that everyone is able to speak freely while keeping it civil at the same time

Megathreads are worth considering, but people that arenā€™t regulars generally disregard stickies and megathreads can end up causing more clutter. I definitely donā€™t want a situation where everything ends up being a megathread (which is something Iā€™ve seen happen)

Moving topics is a huge pain on this forum (Discourse) and doesnā€™t really work properly as far as Iā€™ve seen.

I am usually on the forums in incognito mode or on my other browser unless I log in to comment on something, enforcing rules, or looking at PMs. Not sure about OldKingHalmet, but itā€™s probably the case for him as well.
Thereā€™s definitely a lot I missed out on during the three day weekend though.

I thought that the notes that I wrote when banning someone was available for the public when you check their profile. Thereā€™s usually the reason why the user was banned, the duration, and what will happen with further infractions if necessary.

Thatā€™s a blunder by me. Iā€™ll look into it.

ā€“

Iā€™ll speak with the team about involving community members in the moderation team. Itā€™s something weā€™ve brought up before and weā€™ll look into it again now that the community is the size that is it is

5 Likes

The kid was temp banned before. All thatā€™s going to happen is heā€™ll be back again once this ban expires and start with the same shit.

Iā€™m more interested in whether Illfonic are going to block him from the game, as heā€™s a well known constantly trash-talking troll who even posted a video compilation of him using the Backwater underground exploit to wreck matches.

Banning from the game is where I draw the line

These exploits can be eliminated on illfonics end

Thatā€™s honestly pretty respectable. Of course it doesnā€™t excuse the toxic stuff people can say but this shows that you guys have thick skin and wonā€™t be shutting down threads with criticism towards the company. This is good.

Oh wow! Thanks for the in depth reply @Courier. It actually really does mean a lot.

Exactly my sentiment. Its a difficult thing to find a balance in this regard. I usually draw the line that at threats, personal attacks, and everything above that in terms of escalation. It seems to be about as fine a line as you can make.

As for enforcing it, I think punishments should escalate with the offense. For example a personal attack that isnt really much more than just people being mean seems like a warning is perfect. But in the case of the person you just temp banned, I think the escalation straight to a temp ban was very reasonable, And I really do love the fact that you guys do temp bans. It gives people a chance to cool down and rethink the things they did and hopefully be better. In that respect I think you guys are always on target with how you dispense your punishments.

Absolutely. I think they need to be in their own category if ever implemented. Too many stickies will eventually completely clutter any category they are respectively in. But if you create a category specifically for them, it will be easy enough to keep them seperate. Combine that with closing any threads that are basically rehashes of said megathreads, and in the reply of closing also posting a link to the respective megathread would be reasonable. Not everyone might like that of course, but it would dramatically decrease the clutter we already have.

I assume by discourse here you are referring to the reactions of the people who created the topics, in relation to the moving of said topic? If so I think that people really do need to understand that putting the topics in the proper place is important. Its difficult but I think being firm on this would be beneficial, despite everything.

Then again if from a behind the scenes standpoint its just as difficult as a moderator to do that, I can also understand that too. in which case, definitely not worth it. Though issuing a warning for people that post in the wrong threads could potentially be a proper compromise.

Thats actually funny. Why on incognito if you dont mind me asking? So people dont feel that they are being watched or? Either way I hadnt even considered you guys could be doing that. Very interesting.

As for missing holidays, or hell, even weekends, I really do think I speak for everyone when we say we understand that. We cant expect you to be on here 24/7. You do have lives.

I Havent actually seen if that is happening or not. I dont often look at banned users as they are difficult to find unless you know to look in the first place. I meant more along the lines of actually leaving a reply on the thread where the infraction occured. That way its more easily accessible and there isnt room for anyone to have to guess why a moderator took the action they did.

Regardless I think that the system you had in place (whether functional or not) would be great too.

And finally this. I appreciate this more than anything. I know that coming up with a way of involving us without giving us the power to absolutely abuse our status (whoever might be selected) is difficult. But I think its possible and absolutely worthwhile. Earlier in this thread @Slasher_Clone Mentioned a tier system and at first I was reluctant, but as you were typing I was thinking about it again and it might actually be very worthwhile to do. Just something to consider.

Thank you so much again @Courier For the response. Absolutely love when you guys talk to us, and I hope that in the coming months, you can do so much easier. Always a treat.

Have a good one

2 Likes

Greatā€¦now back to the important election Iā€™m holding right now.

Discourse is the forum software
Some things tend not to get moved, polls arenā€™t moved properly (the votes arenā€™t saved), sometimes there end up being duplicate threads, etc.

Thatā€™s one of the reasons. Iā€™d rather people not be more wary or act out/ or derail threads to try to get my attention just because they know that I am active at a certain time. Itā€™s better when everyone is natural

2 Likes

That explains the quotation marks lol. Thats unfortunate that that is an issue however. Moving posts seems like such an invaluable tool. That being said I think there are other solutions that could be explored, though I dont have any ideas other than the one I mentioned which is kinda jank really lol.

That makes sense, and is actually rather smart. Unfortunately if the community gets involved though that will dissipate very fast to some extent. I hadnt really considered it though.

Thanks again for the Replies.

1 Like

Also on the topic of Discourse, I skimmed through the software features and didnt see anything about the categories like we have set up here.

That leads me to believe that you guys basically jury rigged a category system with what you had and I just have to say, if thats the case that is a damn fine job you guys did. The category system works really well, aside from the topic moving issue you just presented.

Edit

Also in the few interactions ive had with you courier I assume that you are the person that mainly works on the technical side of the forums. So really, good job. Its been pretty flawless aside from a few bugs that were ironed out in the first month or so.

@GreyBack

Sorry I was responding to courier. I had not seen his temp ban before, but the thing about temp bans is they are kind of better in the long run. People will just make new accounts if they are hellbent on coming here and causing trouble. There isnt much that can be done about that unfortunately.

As for the blocking from the game, I dont think thats right. Let epic or psn deal with that imo.

Agreed but there is only so much illfonic can do.

Absolutely.

In my case I spend as much time critisizing illfonic as I do trying to suggest new ideas. Im very back and forth because I try to see from both sides. The fact that they dont shut down criticism really is the most healthy way to go about things. I just hope they arent ignoring the criticism outright, which as far as I can tell they dont.

So even more +respect for that.

Just lol

Wow. . . I donā€™t even know where to begin. Thereā€™s a lot to unpack here.

Haha well? lemme hear

As someone whoā€™s had 3 different accounts, and had the latest one literally outed by a mod who literally works for illfonic, let me be the first to say ā€œI HAVE 0 FAITH ANYONE WILL DO BETTER THAN ILLFONIC HAS, AND THEY HAVE ALREADY SHIT THE BED COMPLETELYā€

I was being told I was a troll, and to kms on my first post a month after the game released for fucks sake. How no one saw this coming is quite beyond me. Itā€™s funny too, because some people think Iā€™m super toxic, and a huge problem. . . and I donā€™t care! I wasnā€™t at first. I wasnā€™t trolling, or losing my mind in any way, and yet it was still recieved the way it was. With coded encouragement to end my life ON DAY ONE.

If illfonic canā€™t even make a civil forum with the professional backing that they have, why on earth should we source talent from THIS cesspool? Also, I couldnā€™t feel any less confident in you, or illfonic when I read about free speech. Might as well be ā€œFreeze peachesā€ to me!

Also, they are a company. They donā€™t get points from me for weathering hyperbolic vitriol from anons. It feels WAY different to receive that kind of serious harassment as an individual. I havenā€™t even SEEN a legitimate threat posted their way in all the time that Iā€™ve been on the forums, but I have felt legit threats come my way.

1 Like

Im gonna reply to this just a min new light bulbs came in

1 Like

One thing is. . . I would maybe feel a lot more comfortable if it was a large team of community mods cooperating with the official mods, and admins. . . but again, Iā€™ve already had my genitals dragged through tabasco drenched glass shards by this community. Iā€™m not gonna feel safe until I do, and I wonā€™t know it until it happens.

I would really, really appreciate if you would try and treat us as individuals. Yes we are part of the community but so are you. Iā€™ve made every effort to try, to get you to see we arenā€™t all bad.

Some of us are more understanding than you give us credit for.
I personally would like you to feel like you are part of the community that is growing. That your concerns are heard.

As for Courier outing you, this is his house and you broke the TOS. He could have just banned you and washed his hands of it, instead he gave you a second chance and even when Venn and you went at it again, only gave you a 3 day ban. Courier has been fair and more than understanding.