Why Mr. Lazy Stopped playing this game religiously.

Tbh guys my mind is so scrambled on this so I needed to put everything in one place to compile everything.

So basically, my first argument is that this isnt a pred game, its a poorly balanced asymm with a predator skin (Not to mention more of those skins being sold to us on arguably better and p2w classes ;D)

Predator Hunting Grounds

Play an asymmetrical multiplayer shooter that pits man against Predator. As part of a Fireteam, complete missions before the Predator finds you. Or be the Predator and hunt your prey.

Now from the title of the game, and the description (On EGS), You can surmise that the game while an assymetrical shooter, Is going to be one with a stealth, tracking, and “Hunting” playstyle for pred, whilst a complete mission and “survive” style of gameplay for FT. However this is not the case. This game is a brawl, and whilst it is “possible” to achieve gameplay along these lines, its rare, and when it does happen, its forced.

Not to mention the balance of the game is practically nonexistant. Most weapons are useless, because a select few weapons are so “meta” that they overshadow everything else. Add onto that the fact that pred has practically nonexistant stealth, as well as now piss poor damage, and FT has far too much time, and not enough pressure, to do their missions, and realistically most games devolve into a single fight that is wholly unsatisfying, especially considering the queue time that is involved. Add onto that, that the matches are often one sided. If the Fireteam is uncoordinated, the likeliness of them winning is low, if they are coordinated, preds chances of winning are just as bad. And finally reinforcements which completely dissolve any semblance of pressure, or fear, or anything for the FT, and yet while I dislike them strongly, its a necessary evil in the current iteration.

The issues with this game, On every level, has to do with the focal point of the balance. Hence the poll I held the other day. (Due to the fact that it doesnt render here, and the menu is broken I will be estimating the results here.)

The question posed was “What should the game be balanced around?” And of 64 voters:

*Game should be balanced around both teams killing each other 17%

*Game should be balanced around FT surviving and pred being second winded (can be done solo) to buy him time 13%

*Game should be balanced around Pred Being OP and FT only being able to kill him as a team 70%

On one hand this is good. It means that the majority of (at the least the voters) players still wish to see pred in the power postion. However it is bad, because clearly this focus on teamwork to kill predator is destroying any chance this game has at balance. (at least on a casual level.)

On the other hand, This game is a combination of both the pred being op, and both teams fighting option. Which only further cements its failure. This part of the balance often creates too much room for the game to end abruptly before the 5 minute mark, and as such, people get frustrated and leave because no one wants to wait 10+ minutes for a 3 minute game.

Hence why my option was placed in there. A new focus around stalling for time, rather than outright killing each other, will allow the game to become healthy again. Balancing around second wind, would allow pred to apply more pressure to the ft, Whilst making his punishment for a bad play, not being the loss of the match necessarily, but rather the loss of pressure, and as such time. This will also allow people with individual skill to shine, regardless of teamwork, because if they are cautious they will be able to second wind predator, and as such force more time. This will significantly extend matches, but more so, will allow for a multitude of other changes to take root.

My opinon has always been that predator should be “Overpowered”. But not because he can run in and tank bullets while he slaps down the FT. More so in the sense that he holds a significant advantage through his technology, equipment, and most of all, intelligence.

Once balanced around that, the next priority should be preds stealth. He needs to be able to move while cloaked and remain invisible. But he should be slow while doing it, hence the idea of crouch walking and moving around in trees being fully invis (as well as standing still). Moving uncrouched, leaping, and for a short time after firing most ranged weapons, pred should be semi visible. Pred should be able to see which state he is in to prevent confusion. And the clicking he makes, should no longer be directional, however it should be louder. It should be the sound that puts fear into the FT, good headset or not, because whilst they know pred is there, they dont know “exactly” where. that will give the game far better atmosphere on the FT side

On top of better stealth, damage on both sides needs to be significantly improved. TTK shouldnt be instant, but it should be fast enough for pred to capitalize on a lone player (at the least downing him), or for said lone player to turn on pred and second wind him. Ranged weapons need to also be improved, as they give away preds position, and with his lack of health that can get him winded, with no reward as he cant capitalize on a down.

To further support queue times, as well as the improved atmosphere, reinforcements need to be removed. Preds second winded health should reflect the number of players in the match, and as such it should be easiest for the last person to kill him in second wind alone. This makes suvival more rewarding, and intense, whilst also improving the 1v1 experience at the end without making it to strong early.

Maps obviously need to be bigger, and objectives should encourage splitting up, at times. to create opportunities for Pred, Or pred should have better ways to split the FT up. Not forcing them apart, but not making it easy to stick together.

Preds tracking needs to be revamped. Footprints should be permanent, but also should drop off within a proximity to FT members to prevent figuring out where exactly they are. They should be very visible so they can be easily tracked from the trees.

While rough, and not really as descriptive as I can be, This, is the foundation of a Real predator game. This is what Im fighting for. And this is not a simple matter of “You’re bad” or “Git Gud”. Its a matter of opinion, and also in my opinion, its the changes this game needs to survive.

New maps, New game modes even, wont fix the core issues of the game. They might keep you interested for a bit longer, but they will never be the saving grace, They will only make the issues we have currently worse in my opinion. I believe strongly that what I am proposing will make this game far more interesting for both sides, as well as bring back all those we have lost. This is the kind of redemption no mans sky had, And the kind of redemption this game needs.

6 Likes

You got the same mindset as me on the game… even tho i probably entered it first and got heart broken and limited myself until now to not make pred fans depressed of what awaits them in future hours of the game…

Spoiler alert: Boredom

To elaborate my every single match right now feels like im just a fireteam member that has ability to climb trees and looks like a predator really… or better yet an character that does not feel anything like predator XD…

And for the “haters” or people who “want beef” even tho they have so much power on the so called internet and are able to get in the beef lol and even go to crazy lenghts calling people names and shit… I will say this once and once final ALL THE MATCHES I PLAY I WIN IN 98-99% OF TIMES BUT THE WINS AND THOSE LOSSES I GET ARE DULL AND BORING okay now thats out of the way i would like to also say i dont care at this point if i sound greedy or not cause u dont see me flexing and saying ohohoho look at me guys im so good at the game that i win 99% of times and i love stomping on players and abusing broken fking game core mechanics… wooowieee look at me… NO you are wrong there… This is me saying you guys need to wake up before its too late or you will end up like me and @Lazycollinator

I also knew an aussie streamer who was also a fan of pred n shit and enjoyed the game and never lost ever from what i saw… until the game got game breaking bugs and they kept adding shit no one ever asked and he dipped and said to me on stream and i quote “Sorry coffee man i really mean it, but predator is just not what i expected and its just plainly boring”

2 Likes

Yeah the post nut clarity was a bitch on this game.

1 Like

I agree it feels like u know… when you are working in a job that u never asked for but ur paid well but at the end of the day you are like… why am i still working there…

Ofc most of these people probably wont ever admit they feel like it IRL or better yet this type of emotion actually exists or feeling…

And the main issue here is boredom… devs did nothing to prevent boredom unlike Evolve had which had level cap removed… perk upgrade system, character progressions etc… and let me tell you as a veteran evolve player that unlocked it all and yet still remained to play the game… i loved seeing the different playstyle and takes really… the gameplay was always unique not gonna lie… u rarley saw repetitive gameplay from a monster or teammates XD…

For those who blame evolve for its dead and not realise for what it truly died from… they are just snakes… snake people… feeding off of greed and lies and ignorant delusion lol… yes i said it this is why i dont live in a society really or care about whole life thingy and humanity anymore…

EVOLVE DIED DUE TO GREEDY DEVELOPERS. PERIOD.

EVOLVE HAD UNDYING CONCEPT. PERIOD.

2 Likes

I dont know shit about evolve lol. Just remember that it got ripped a new one multiple times.

1 Like

Oh and not to forget to mention

Evolve was scratching the surface really… lemme explain lol…

So later in production dev team decided to make the characters have extermination cinematic cuts… and how they were more than just paid exterminators and whole fleet relied on them to exterminate monsters and stuff from the planet… And the game was heading into much more and actually having lore and story and everything… and u ask me how i know that…

A moderator told me at the end when game died as her NDA expired and stuff…

They planned to add water exploration missions, space battles like in space n shit… pre history outbreak scenes and episodes like mini episodes in game n shit… or youtube…

Idk why people now blame evolve for like just mainly negative such as them being ignorant abojt the reason why it actually died and them focusing on people saying for the game that it had issues with balance and paid dlcs… the content was actually never ever an issue lol on forums XD

while i get your sentiment and your idea is certainly one worth chasing for me on a competitve standpoint i don’t think that game your describing would ever work unless the predator just isn’t killable (IE if second wind triggers he loses a *Life and leaves the map to spawn again out of his ship to continue the hunt on the 2nd or 3rd down he dies for real) the reason as this is if the FT can’t actually kill the predator and their goal is to just complete the obj’s to get out and predators sole goal is to kill the FT i’d assume as the FT it would feel really shitty to just get constantly harrassed by the predator as he tries to kill them

stealth experience in pvp gameplay at least is never satisfying for the not stealth people at least in my experiance it isn’t
and of course adding more game modes is also problematic as it splits the already dwindling playerbase into 2 camps which usually causes one to have like <10% of the playerbase while the other is always at 90%
i’d rather they improve the current hunt game mode to be a more balanced experianced but your point is valid i suppose if it works i’m just a missourian and i don’t believe anything until i see it and while in text it SOUNDS appealing i can’t see it working the way it’s written but that might be the competitve power gamer in me

2 Likes

Pred should be killable. But it should never be the focus. It should be possible but extremely difficult unless the pred player is stupid or impatient.

See i wanna like just talk a bit more about this if u dont mind… also nothing offensive rly just curious about how people think and feel about what stealth really is for them when they play predator… for example…

Like for me stealth would include shit ton of mechanics what predator can do really… one of them being mainly cloak ability right… thats the whole gig about predator as he is that invis scary hunter who hunts both day and night any time and u cant predict him unless u got tech bla bla bla…

So again i will tell you what predator should have came in with…

Ability to slowly traverse on tree trunk and not instantly climb on a branch

Ability to latch on the branch or hug a wall and not be noticable by fireteam as they pass by or go around the tree…

Ability pounce someone and take a bit of his HP and stun him and run away or like be able to counter solo rush… cause this is most important and devs should relate to evolve ways… as to if some toxic mate or some tryhard guy tried to cut the monster path the monster can just outplay the lonely hunter and pounce and kill… but with predator it wouldnt be the same really… i think a pounce in a way you drop on person and kinda either use a wrist blade to pin him as in animation wise to the ground which takes a bit of HP… or predator just drops as in K.O finish move that stuns a person and pred is able to like land one swing at person before person recovers ability for energy and parry… and person is able to parry after stun is done really…

The cloak should be made so you can crouch walk slowly so it will keep you hidden in distance as in depth of field would play a part or similar function asset… and when pred gets closer you are able to see him 95% of time if he is like crouch walking around you guys…

Ability to latch off of branches and walls of buildings

Ability for the needed trigger sfx of predator clicking to echo around the forest so it does not really give away his position instantly… only if he stays there for like 3 min lol max… we can all agree we usually stay around a minute lol or less…

@KameofWar

Things take time.

They tried balances close to your suggested ones, of this I’m 90% sure. You know what they found? It wasn’t fun. The FT would camp or set a trap and execute the poor low health, high stealth Pred.

I do think we will get a slower played mode that might give you a little of what you want, but it’s probably not going to be for quite a while though.

Try and spend some time thinking of why your ideas might not work, how they might force the Pred into running to often or not providing the FT with any chance of counter play (ie. stealth kills from behind always, while being able to crouch walk invisibly).
The devs are capable of seeing when things aren’t working and the game we have now is a result of that testing, of seeing things not working.

They took a whole set of mechanics out because they slowed the game play to much. It’s why we can’t set traps. Lots of your ideas have merit, just have more patience. Things will happen when they can happen.

But it didn’t and the monster was just glorified hide and seek for 10 mins. The playerbase died the first month because it wasn’t fun being chased around by 4 people EVERY SINGLE MATCH with 0 variety as a solo role & never recovered. That was before all the dlc nonsense and even going free to play couldn’t maintain players. It was fun for 4 people and no fun for the solo role if they got caught stage 1.

Nothing could’ve saved Evolve short of a full revamp because the 4 man was the power role and the solo player had to do all the objectives while being chased all game.

Seems like if thats the case they sure as shit didnt find much room for improvement.

That’s an opinion and one proved wrong by it dying.

1 Like

See i wouldnt partially agree with you @Slasher_Clone on the whole

Cause like no mans sky devs aka hello games… realised they were doing it so wrong for a game like no mans sky… they tried to shape it about them and stuff and some stuff players would probs enjoyed… But at the end of the day you are making a game for your community aka other humans and not for devs them self really… the documentary of no mans sky explained it so good… how they took a year to organise shit that was killing the game to make it into things that were helping it… and shit like that… and aprox took them few yrs really to get to their current rating lol…

I have to agree with you on this one. I have a feeling they didnt really get much time to play around and test certain ideas with this game.

1 Like

Well you are mixing concept and reason…

The concept is still not dead and nothing can beat it really… or top it out lol…

However reason of death is not poor and slow gameplay cause the ratings where mostly positive on launch as i remember it being 76% positive… and that was it with basic monsters and maps… later on it got to overwhelmingly then dropped to mixed due to paid dlcs etc…

They did, they made it play faster. They put the onus on the Pred to decide when to push or back off. They could have just as easily given the Pred a second wind that recharges at a ridiculous rate and always saves you if you just run away. They could have had hp regen on the Pred or any number of other solves. Instead they balanced out the game around the Predator having to take the initiative, it is the Hunter after all.

yeah… while i get where your coming from we then run into this issue stealth stun hit into bear trap/netgun (or if melee attack animation cancles are still in the game we use those via jumping) into anyweapon = that FT is now dead unless his team was there which they couldn’t have been there or else the stealth attack wouldn’t have worked in the first place
so that FT guy just died with no counterplay besides idk maybe he shoulda done a few 360s until he pinpointed the exact location the pred is coming from?

slow quiet traversal just makes it so much easier for predator to do long range poking kills where if the pred has good aim it suddenly becomes very difficult for the FT to pinpoint his location to return fire unless they just start running which then leads us back into the FT just runs at the predator to kill him cause he is annoying to deal with
and on the other side for the FT to have the advantage instead of doing the obj the moment they hear the predator is nearbye they should drop what their doing and fight him off till he has to run away from 2nd wind so they can progress stunting the predators ability to do the whole stealth thing

hopefully that clears things up i enjoy discussing things like this unfortunately as you can probably tell i’m a very realistic pessimist who assume every game devolves into meta horseplay no matter how well intentioned the devs were in their design i take every concept and take it to it’s logical meta gamed conclusion for better or for worse as i think since in the modern age all games devolve this way (sadly) it’s what devs should design around once it takes place regardless of their initial vision

2 Likes

This is now how it works tho? they never play tested regen HP or fast af second wind lol, sure i agree timings needed changing but i think they started off with slow af second wind recharge and then changed it to what it is now…

However for HP regen maybe they had a desire about a perk but it was just too OP… but built it… i doubt highly… however i can tell you right now usually good devs write that shit down every single idea that comes to their mind daily… and not just on team meetings n stuff…

I can tell you right now the game was based of what devs wanted and half what it says about pred in comics and movies…