Suggestion: Perk system re-work. (Perks 2.0)

Disclaimer:

What this post does NOT address

• Perk balance. (Which is, and will be absolutely required)
  • The current lack of suitable perk information. (This really needs to be provided in-game ASAP)
  • The other side of the coin (Gear) - which also requires attention, and you will see how the same approach described here can be used for Gear.

Note:

Point cost and perk effect values are used as examples only and are not intended to be representative of good balance.

I also warrant there’s a very good chance ideas similar to this have already been suggested at some point, so I in no way claim I am the first to express all aspects of this suggestion.

The Problem:

I feel there is currently an issue with how Perks function in regards to ‘build’ diversity/choice within the game. Due to how the point cost system interacts with the “3 slot” system, you end up with a very stifled list of potential options, that frequently causes unused points to go to waste, especially on certain classes.

Given the current balance some perks are almost a “must choose” while others are never selected, because while they might be worth the ‘point cost’, they are not worth the ‘slot cost’.

The Numbers:

Some summary numbers as reference. (I believe these are current as of 09/07/20. v1.13)

Predator has 25 Perks.

1 Point: 4
2 Point: 8
3 Point: 7
4 Point: 4
5 Point: 2

Hunter/Jungle Hunter
Gear - 10
Perks - 12

Scout
Gear - 8
Perks - 15

Berserker
Gear - 15
Perks - 9

Elder
Gear - 12
Perks - 12

Samurai
Gear - 12
Perks - 12

Fire Team has 25 Perks.

1 Point: 4
2 Point: 6
3 Point: 7
4 Point: 5
5 Point: 2
6 Point: 1

Assault
Gear - 10
Perks - 9

Recon
Gear - 8
Perks - 15

Scout
Gear - 6
Perks - 12

Support
Gear - 15
Perks - 6

Dutch
Gear - 8
Perks - 9

The Problem explored:

Those of you who are mathematically inclined can probably already see the issue. Especially when you start looking at classes that lean towards Perks. (ie. Scout & Recon)

• The reverse also applies for Gear and Gear Heavy classes, but the reduced number of options in this category lessens the impact somewhat, as diversity is already limited.

Problem Example:

You have 15 points, to distribute across 3 slots.

Remember you have these points with because you have in some way sacrificed your base stats and\or gear points.

Unless you choose 3 perks that are valued at 5,5,4* (Predator), or 6,5,4 (FT only), you’re wasting points.

*In fact the Predator Scout cannot maximise their point usage. They only have 2 Perks that cost 5!

Also multiple sources have suggested that the two 5 point Perks for Predator do not even stack, meaning at BEST you have an effective Perk point usage of 13.

Now given, you can, of course, choose to use your perk points on a preferred build of your choosing, and still do perfectly fine. But that’s not really the point. Why provide us with a resource we cannot use effectively?

Taking this to it’s logical conclusion, the game is through it’s own balance is eliminating

19 Predator* Perks and 17 Fire Team Perks from even being considered.

*Some of the lower cost Predator Perks actually have enough merit to be included.

But be realistic, when is the last time you actually used a “1 Point” cost Perk, when you had 3-5 Perk points remaining?

The Suggested Solution:

Provide 5 Perk slots, and give each Perk 1-4 levels. The cost of the perk increasing with each level.*

Optional: Only 1 Perk can be Level 4, and provides an increased or defining\unique bonus. Becoming a ‘Specialty Perk’.

*Balancing required

Example #1:

Predator Perk: Impenetrable (Current cost 5).
Effect: Decreases damage taken by bullet based weapons by 10%.

Instead becomes:
Impenetrable (1 Star / Level 1): Cost 3
Effect: Decreases damage taken by bullet based weapons by 7.5%.

Impenetrable (2 Star / Level 2): Cost 4
Effect: Decreases damage taken by bullet based weapons by 10%.

Impenetrable (3 Star / Level 3): Cost 5
Effect: Decreases damage taken by bullet based weapons by 12.5%.

Impenetrable (4 Star / Level 4): Cost 7
Effect: Decreases damage taken by all sources by 15%.

Example #2: (Starting on the lower end)

Fire Team Perk: Shuffler (Current cost: 1)
Effect: Increases movement speed while you are downed. By X%???

Instead becomes:
Shuffler (1 Star / Level 1): Cost 1
Effect: Increases movement speed while you are downed by 20%

Shuffler (2 Star / Level 2): Cost 2
Effect: Increases movement speed while you are downed by 40%.

Shuffler (3 Star / Level 3): Cost 3
Effect: Increases movement speed while you are downed by 60%.

Shuffler (4 Star / Level 4): Cost 5
Effect: Increases movement speed while you are downed by 100%.
One of the below: (as I mentioned, these are just examples)

• The Predator cannot see your downed/claim marker from a distance.
  • You are automatically mudded up.
  • You can “sprint”/”use stamina” to move even faster for a brief period.

Example #3:

Predator Perk: Clotted (Current cost 1).
Effect: Increases Blood Trail intervals. By X???

Instead becomes:
Clotted (1 Star / Level 1): Cost 1
Effect: Increases Blood Trail intervals by 30%

Clotted (2 Star / Level 2): Cost 2
Effect: Increases Blood Trail intervals by 60%

Clotted (3 Star / Level 3): Cost 3
Effect: Increases Blood Trail intervals by 90%

Clotted (4 Star / Level 4): Cost 6
Effect: You do not bleed.
You do not get covered in blood as you get damaged.

I could keep going, but that’s just a general concept. I’m sure the community and/or Devs could come up with some amazing ideas.

As you can see, this immediately opens up the potential build diversity enormously.
Instead of feeling like you’re being pigeon-holed into using the ‘better’ more expensive perks, you can instead make a build with multiple lower cost perks. I’d love to use Branch Master and Ascender in my Predator build, but it’s never a viable option. This fixes that.

Or use the perks you do now, and instead of wasting those 1-2 points, you can instead take some lower impact options to fill out your build.

You could even implement the 5 Perk slots, without the ‘Perk Level’ idea, and still see a marked improvement in options.

Instead of 6+5+4, you could have 5+3+3+2+2. (Using them exactly as they are now).

Or with the Perk levels having something like 8+3+2+1+1. Having 1 powerful defining perk, supported by multiple smaller ones.

But you could of course also choose 5+5+5, you don’t have to use 5 slots, but you can if you wanted to.

Summary:

Short Term:
Allow for 5 Perk slots. Opening up the possibility to use the lesser point perks more often.

Long Term:
Re-work and re-balance the entire Perk system, allowing for Perk levels, and optionally 1 unique Perk per build.

Outcome:
Build diversity > Creativity > Replayability > Enjoyment > Fun

I hope I’ve highlighted my idea adequately. I’m sure it’s not perfect, but I truly feel it’s a step in the right direction. There are so many Perks that are not getting any attention at all (for multiple reasons).

This would also work well with some of my new Perk ideas.

I’d also like to give a shoutout to @Lazycollinator who has some great ideas here (WIP)

6 Likes

This sounds cool. It would be cool if instead of a certain number of perk slots, we would just get like 50 points, and we could put on as many perks as we could afford with that.

Weak points start at 5 points, strong perks start at 10,
Max level of perks is lv.3, each higher level adds 5 points.

Maybe weaker perks could cost 3 points idk. Like the tree climbing speed.

But perks also need a rework with their numbers. Cause 10% is just way too weak with stuff like impenetrable.

It should start at a minimum of 20%, and yaujtas bane should never cancel it out.

I know a lot of ppl will think that would make pred too strong, but with this change, what I have in mind, is a higher power level game.

Pred is pretty damn easy to kill now.
If it became harder to kill him, this could give the ft the opportunity to receive a lot of cool shit.

Like special ammo, sentry turrets, maybe a grapple hook, shit idk man, the possibilities are near endless.

But ft doesnt have much atm, and cant get much more, cause the pred is super easy to kill.

We have an arena style game.
Might as well fully embrace it so both sides get a lot of cool/flashy shit.

I kind of went off topic, but I hope what I said makes sense, and you can see how it goes hand in hand with a perk rework, and more diversity.

I have another idea in regards to this, but I dont want to go fully off topic.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be opposed to removing slots, and just paying for as many as you want.
Same outcome really. I was just trying not to deviate ‘too extremely’ from the current model.

2 Likes

Oh ya I completely understand that. Just to keep it simple for them.

Bumping this now that Illfonic are back from their holiday. :)

Yeah the perk system could use some refinement. It, for me, would create greater match-ups if it was overhauled, instead of players having to resort to quick-downing and claiming, and other mood-downers when greater diversity in playstyles create better experiences. Right now, I don’t think the game does it well when certain classes are limited via the number slot allotted to them

Agreed. Some variety in the arsenal of both the Pred and FT would greatly renew interest, and added maps/gamemodes would most definitely enhance that.

2 Likes

Right now a lot more things need to change in order for the pace of the match to go slower, and you can effectively play a hunt/stalker style

1 Like

Yeah 15 mins is too short to create an atmospheric experience. It sort of loses its impact after playing your first 3 matches.

I get my own enjoyment out of it, but lately bugs have been annoying and driving me fucking crazy. Like to the point where the annoyance is overwriting the fun.

Ft isnt as buggy so I’ve been doing more of that lately.

But I only enjoy ft because of the people I play with.

1 Like

FT has its enjoyment factor outweigh the bugs compared to the Pred, I’ll give it that.

Although having invisible AI barrage me constantly is kinda killing it.

That sounds like a pc thing. Luckily I havent ran into that. Dont want to either xD.

1 Like

Invisible AI? Even the guerrillas have better cloaking than the Pred? (kidding, I know it is a glitch but still… lmao)

1 Like

2 Likes