Mythbusters Predator Edition: Cloaking challenge!

We see a lot of conflicting information in regards to the predator cloak. Is the Predator invisible when cloaked and standing still? How about when crouching? Can a keen eye still pick them out?

Old Stuff related to the challenge

@meowera and I did a quick test. On my end with graphics on high/motion blur off. Here is the video from my Perspective as FT:

video removed to make space on my google drive for updated videos. I can provide it if you want just let me know!

This video was taken at 60fps in OBS on PC. All graphics on high, motion blur off. Let me know if you have trouble getting it, it should be public but I have been wronger before.

I challenge anyone to spot the Predator in the first few seconds. Basically, in the first 5 seconds before the AI interrupts us. I am not able to see him until 16 seconds in, when he starts to move. There is another time when he is crouch walking and goes invisible again. If you think you found him, please do not post publicly send me a DM and I will confirm or deny. This is to give folks time to take the challenge themselves.

Also I am willing to repeat tests like these if anyone is interested or not convinced or does trust the video above.

And in before the obvious, Yes I am terrible FT. I was sure I had filled the frags full of candy canes and unicorn farts before I jumped out of the chopper…

The solution to the challenge. Thank you to everyone who attempted it!

##################################################
Edit:
This is what else we have tested:

1. Low and Medium graphics settings - no difference in cloaking affect when Predator should be 100% invisible.
  2. Walk and stop - visible when moving, invisible when still.
  3. Crouch walk and stop - visible when moving, invisible when still. no difference in visibility based on speed even when moving slower.
  4. Smoke grenades - low settings they are almost completely non existent. you may as well drop a lit cigar on the ground and try to hide behind its smoke.
  5. Changing weapons - no visibility when changing weapons. Predator remains invisible.
  6. Throw a trap - traps are visible, but the Predator remains invisible when deploying.
  7. Jump - Predator is visible while jumping.
  8. Crouch Jump - Predator is visible while jumping and does not fade until it returns to crouching position.
  9. Moving slowly (analog stick) - Predator is visible when moving and invisible when still. Movement speed does not seem to affect the amount of invisibility loss. it would seem the invisibility portion is a hard on or off with no gradient while moving at any speed.
  10. Visibility with only shadows on low - no difference in detecting invisible Predator than when changing other in game graphics settings.

TDLR;
Our conclusion is that if someone is telling you they can see you as the Predator when you know you should be 100% invisible, they are one of three B’s.
Bullshitting, Bugged, or Busted

05/26/2020 1.06 - no one has yet to complete my challenge.
06/21/2020 1.11 - since no one has tried to complete my challenge in a while, I am going to call it over. I am also going to replace the videos from game version 1.06 to ones recorded in 1.11 to keep this up to date.

New Videos!
Updates 1.11 video links HIGH vs LOW graphics settings. The purpose here was to show how visible the Predator was while moving and cloaked at various ranges.
HIGH graphics vs cloak at range
LOW graphics vs cloak at range

4 Likes

Need to test this on all low settings

We will repeat record dude, I just not turned on my voice chat cuz I couldn’t hear you and game at all, me and my fam was preparing to going out from home. I was stand still and thought you was recording that, but only last part of experiment was recorded and I don’t knew that. I can continue experiments this after 3-4 hours when we came back home.

Yes I agree, but we had not the time to record it, though @meowera said the Predator was invisible also at low settings when we swapped roles.

I was testing on all low and was the same result. He was absolutely invisible when was stand still. When crouch he was visible.

1 Like

Sounds good, though I may be off and running some errands this afternoon (it is 10:30am here) and will not have time until later this evening.

Would’ve been nice if maybe y’all just did this experiment out on the dirt road instead of flailing about in an outpost having the AI interrupt. Could be as simple as taking 4 steps and stopping every time to see the total cloaking affect. I’m sure there’s much better vids on YouTube already showcasing this so this post is pointless

1 Like

I am willing to repeat this wherever and under whatever conditions you are interested in, just let me know.

It may seem pointless to folks who already know, but there still seems to be a lot of miss information out there in regards to Predator and cloaking. Crouching and cloaking. Movement speed vs. cloaking, etc.

My main goal is to try and prove whether under normal conditions a Predator is or is not visible when cloaked and still, and if anyone is seeing different results that it may be a bug.

I did like to see the full invisibility affect just doing it in the outposts with AI is way too distracting for the purpose of the vids. Also yes doing a vid on lowest settings to see the difference is highly recommended.

Thanks. I also thought that being able to see a higher resolution video than what you typically see on YouTube would be helpful as well.

Curious to see if using a controller and slowly tilting the stick is less visible than crouch walk. Basically whether or not it’s Halo camoflauge rules and the slower you move maintains invisibility, or if its just as visible at any strafe speed and takes the full time to cloak again.
Also the effectiveness of crouch-leaping vs regular camo leap.

@Jamann257 and I tested this. I am on PC but I hooked up XBOX controller and tried moving around while cloaked and crouching. The cloaking was not any more effective the slower I moved. In other words, if your feet move, you lose the 100% cloaking.

Crouch leaping was the same, as even when crouching-leaping and crouching mid leap still caused the Predator to land fully upright and then immediately crouch. The 100% cloaking did not kick in until after the re-crouch upon landing.

Good info ty

Repeating any of the cloaking tests on low graphics settings did not change anything up. The Predator was still 100% invisible when being completely still.

Low settings did however allow us to see over very large distances, nearly half the width of the map.

Was this bottom of the barrel settings? Because during matches on Derailed, standing completely still for over 10 seconds I was being headsniped by a PC Recon player. Now for those that say he saw you move there, there was no way as I was on the roof and they were in the NE objective, when they ran into the train yard, I was immediately head sniped.

Wish I had gotten video…

This was everything on low, no motion blur, 1080, 60fps limited.

I can provide some video a little bit later if you would like.

Please do, I’m curious to see lowest settings for all, no motion blur, no shadows, no anything, and antialiasing turned to the bottom.

Can they still see the eyes through the scope maybe? Or did you maybe toggle thermal?

Never touched thermal

Like I said, they were shooting AI on north east objective, could very easily hear them. I dropped traps, then pulled out bow and ducked and didn’t move for 10 seconds. Then shooting stopped and knew they were heading to the rail yard. I didn’t move, and never toggled thermal. Recon runs through the NE gate and immediately headsniped me 3x while I was on the roof in cloak not moving. Had been motionless since before they moved out of the jungle…